Dana L. Trier
Mr. Trier is counsel in Davis Polk’s Tax Department. His practice focuses on domestic and international tax planning for corporate mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, spinoffs and private equity investments. He also has a substantial amount of experience in financial transactions such as convertible debt instruments, equity derivatives, securitization and project finance, and has done a significant amount of work involving novel executive compensation and employee benefits arrangements and insurance products. In addition to his tax planning practice, he has represented clients on ruling and legislative matters and in tax controversies.
Mr. Trier most recently served as Deputy Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy in the U.S. Treasury Department, where he oversaw the Office of the Tax Legislative Counsel, assisted in establishing and implementing the legislative goals of the Office, and coordinated the administrative guidance projects of the Office. He rejoined Treasury in 2017, having previously served as the Department’s Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy, Tax Legislative Counsel and Deputy Tax Legislative Counsel from 1988 to 1989.
Mr. Trier is listed as a leading tax lawyer in several legal industry publications, including:
- Chambers Global
- Chambers USA
- Practical Law Company’s Cross-Border Tax on Corporate Transactions Handbook
- Law Business Research’s Who’s Who Legal – International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers and Expert Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers – Best of the Best U.S.
- Tax Directors Handbook
- American Lawyer Media’s Corporate Counsel: Best Lawyers Annual Guide to Tax Law
- Former Chair, Corporate Tax Committee, ABA Section of Taxation
- Former Member, Executive Committee, Taxation Section, New York State Bar Association
- Davis Polk – Partner, 1998-2008; Counsel since 2018
- U.S. Treasury Department – Acting Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy and Deputy Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy, 2017-2018; Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy, Tax Legislative Counsel and Deputy Tax Legislative Counsel, 1988-1989