At Davis Polk, we want our lawyers to reflect the diversity of our communities, our clients and the world. We represent diversity of race, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, age, place of origin, language, educational background, socioeconomic status, military service, non-legal expertise, and interests and experiences outside of the law. Diversity of backgrounds, experiences and ideas is a core value that enriches our workplace – and enhances our ability to provide creative solutions tailored to our clients’ most challenging business needs. Our inclusive culture and commitment to equitable systems strengthen our connections to each other and to our clients.
In that spirit, we offer the Davis Polk 2L Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Fellowship for rising 2L students who have demonstrated a commitment to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion within the legal profession and their communities more broadly.
- 2L Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Fellowship amount: $35,000 (less any applicable withholdings and taxes)
- The Davis Polk 2L Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Fellowship will be paid in three installments:
- $15,000 at the beginning of the recipient’s time as a Davis Polk summer associate
- $10,000 when the recipient joins Davis Polk as a full-time associate either immediately after law school graduation or after a judicial clerkship, and after taking the Bar examination
- $10,000 at the conclusion of the recipient’s first 12 months at the firm as a full-time associate
- Davis Polk will accept applications from fellowship candidates for 2024 from June 1 through July 10, 2023.
- The fellowship is in addition to the opportunities already offered to our summer associates, which include substantive and real work experience, a commitment to training, mentoring and professional development, networking and social events, and the summer associate salary.
Applicants should have a demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion within the legal profession and their communities more broadly, strong academic records of excellence in law school and college, and leadership experiences within their communities and other personal and professional experiences.
- Applicants must intend to practice law at a Davis Polk office within the United States and must be enrolled in a full-time J.D. program at an ABA-accredited law school with an expected graduation date of spring 2025.
- Applicants must not accept a similar scholarship/award (impacting their 2024 summer program experience) from another law firm.
- All recipients of the Davis Polk 2L Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Fellowship are required to accept, and complete, a Davis Polk summer associate position for the summer following their second year of law school (the 2024 Summer Program).
Fellowship application process
To apply for a Davis Polk 2L Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Fellowship in one of our three U.S. offices, please email the following:
New York: email@example.com
Washington DC: firstname.lastname@example.org
Northern California: email@example.com
Please apply to your preferred office and you may note additional offices of interest.
- Applicants are required to submit a resume, a complete law school transcript of their first-year grades and a personal statement. Please also indicate your practice area preferences.
- The personal statement must indicate the applicant’s Davis Polk office of interest and discuss their interest in the fellowship, goals for joining Davis Polk, personal and professional experiences and achievements, and demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion within the legal profession and/or greater community (500 words or fewer).
- Applications will be accepted from June 1 – July 10, 2023.
The application process is open to all students who fulfill the fellowship requirements. Should you apply for the Davis Polk 2L Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Fellowship, you will not need to apply separately for a Davis Polk summer associate position. All fellowship applications will be considered in tandem with the offer process for the Davis Polk summer program. Please note that summer program offer decisions will be made in advance of any awarded fellowship. The firm will award a limited number of fellowships to qualified applicants, but applicants who are not awarded a fellowship may still be considered, and receive an offer, for the Davis Polk summer program.