We are happy to receive applications from experienced lawyers. Please submit your cover letter, resume and law school transcript to the relevant contacts listed below. We generally reply within two to three weeks of receipt of the application.
Many of our international offices have lateral hiring needs. Our lawyers work on cross-border transactions, with emphasis on capital markets, M&A and finance issues. We have a leading U.S. law practice in our offices worldwide. In addition, we have top-rated local law capabilities in London, Hong Kong and Paris. We also practice English law in our Hong Kong and São Paulo offices. Lawyers practicing outside the United States who practice U.S. law must be admitted in one of the jurisdictions in which the firm has a U.S. office and be in compliance with any requirements of their local jurisdiction. Lawyers practicing local law in jurisdictions outside the United States must be duly admitted to practice in such jurisdiction.
New York office
- The Capital Markets group is seeking associates with 4+ years of experience and counsel level candidates. Our Capital Markets group advises leading international corporations and financial institutions across a full range of capital markets transactions, including equity, investment-grade and high-yield debt and derivatives.
- The firm is looking to hire a counsel within the firm’s market-leading Capital Markets group focused on ongoing SEC, NYSE and Nasdaq reporting and governance requirements, annual proxy statements and corporate housekeeping documentation for the firm’s public company clients. The counsel will interact directly with clients, review or supervise the review of client-originated reporting and governance documents and prepare or supervise the preparation of original reporting and governance documents. The counsel will coordinate closely with partners, counsel and associates in the firm’s Capital Markets, Mergers and Acquisitions, Executive Compensation and ESG groups. The counsel will be supported by one or two dedicated associates as well as, depending on the matter, associates assigned to transactional groups. At least seven years combined prior relevant experience in a national law firm or public company legal department environment is required. Detailed knowledge of public company reporting and governance requirements, including Regulations S-K, S-X, FD and G; Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, 20-F and 6-K; Schedule 14A; and SEC, NYSE and Nasdaq corporate governance requirements are a plus. The counsel will support business development activities, including pitches and client memos, but will not be expected to port clients, originate new clients or spend significant amounts of time on non-billable business development activities.
- The Finance group is seeking associates with 2+ years of experience in leveraged finance. The ideal candidate would have experience with acquisition financings and commitment letters, whether representing lenders, private equity sponsors or corporate borrowers.
- The Finance group is seeking an associate with 2+ years of experience in structured finance and derivatives. The ideal candidate will be well-rounded and able to assist with structured work including fund finance, structured finance, derivatives, hedge fund trading docs and other complex financing products
- The IP & Tech Transactions group is seeking associates with 2+ years of experience. Life sciences or technical background preferred but not required. Our IP & Tech Transactions group advises leading international corporations and financial institutions across a full range of standalone and corporate transactions across all industries, including Tech, Media & Telecom; Fintech; Healthcare & Life Sciences; Consumer Products & Retail and Industrials.
- The Litigation group is seeking a counsel level experienced lawyer to work closely with the Restructuring group on bankruptcy litigation matters. The candidate should have extensive experience (1) providing strategic advice and litigation analysis to creditors, ad hoc groups and debtors in distressed situations, and (2) serving as the “first chair” litigator in contested matters before the bankruptcy court. The attorney will have extensive contact with clients and will work closely with partners, associates and counsel in both the Litigation and Restructuring groups.
- The Mergers & Acquisitions group is seeking associates with 2+ years of experience. Our Mergers & Acquisitions group is regularly involved in the largest and most complex mergers and acquisitions of the day. The ideal candidate would have strong transaction experience working on a variety of private equity M&A experience and commercial transactions. High level of academic achievement and solid law firm experience preferred.
- The Restructuring group is seeking a capital markets/securities lawyer. The ideal candidate would have 7 or more years of experience drafting, negotiating and reviewing bond indentures, along with other ancillary documentation, and advising on the structuring and execution of liability management transactions including tender offers and exchange offers. The lawyer would work closely with both the Capital Markets/Securities and Restructuring groups, and would need a strong familiarity with market customary bond indentures, including covenants and any collateral arrangements. The lawyer would need to be comfortable drafting and negotiating indentures and advising Davis Polk teams and clients directly with respect to the analysis and interpretation of existing documentation, including with respect to tenders, exchanges, open market purchases and other similar transactions.
- Pro Bono Attorney for Corporate and Transactional Matters will focus on corporate and transactional pro bono matters involving nonprofits and small businesses. The attorney will both practice corporate law and help administer the firm’s pro bono program.
Read the job description
Northern California office
- The Northern California office is seeking a lateral associate with 2-5 years’ experience to join our general Corporate practice. The Northern California office is the base for service to our West Coast clients. Our Corporate practice reflects the firm’s traditional strengths in advisory, banking, finance and transactional work focused on the distinct needs of technology and life science companies.
São Paulo / New York offices
- The São Paulo office is seeking a U.S. qualified associate with 4+ years of capital markets experience to focus on Brazilian matters. Native or fluent Portuguese language skills are required. Applicants can be based in São Paulo or New York.
São Paulo, Madrid and Tokyo
Beijing and Hong Kong
Davis Polk litigators are recognized for their extensive experience, creativity, integrity and ability to handle the most complex and challenging litigation matters for global clients. Approximately two-thirds of our litigators have clerked for federal or state judges, including Justices of the U.S. Supreme Court.
Trainee solicitors and Paris training
Our London and Hong Kong offices offer exemplary two-year training experiences. Trainee solicitors can expect early responsibility and meaningful work, including exposure to multiple practice areas. They grow professionally through excellent training programs, ongoing mentoring and unparalleled access to partners.
Our Paris office offers three- to six-month programs for law students interested in associate positions. They take place twice a year: from January to June and from July to December.