We are happy to receive applications from experienced lawyers. Please submit your cover letter, resume and law school transcript to the relevant contacts listed below. We generally reply within two to three weeks of receipt of the application.
Many of our international offices have lateral hiring needs. Our lawyers work on cross-border transactions, with emphasis on capital markets, M&A and finance issues. We have a leading U.S. law practice in our offices worldwide. In addition, we have top-rated local law capabilities in London, Hong Kong and Paris. We also practice English law in our Hong Kong and São Paulo offices. Lawyers practicing outside the United States who practice U.S. law must be admitted in one of the jurisdictions in which the firm has a U.S. office and be in compliance with any requirements of their local jurisdiction. Lawyers practicing local law in jurisdictions outside the United States must be duly admitted to practice in such jurisdiction.
All lateral inquiries and submissions must be sent directly to the relevant legal recruiting contact listed below. Any lateral inquiry or submission sent to anyone else will not be considered and any representation will not be recognized.
New York office
- The Capital Markets group is seeking associates with 4+ years of experience and counsel level candidates. Our Capital Markets group advises leading international corporations and financial institutions across a full range of capital markets transactions, including equity, investment-grade and high-yield debt and derivatives.
- The Executive Compensation group is seeking associates with 2+ years of experience as well as counsel level candidates. The ideal candidate will have broad transactional experience and experience advising public and private companies and individual executives on a variety of compensation and benefit matters. Candidates with expertise in overlapping areas of practice, including labor and employment and tax, are also encouraged to apply. High level of academic achievement preferred.
- The Finance group is seeking associates with 2+ years of experience in leveraged finance. The ideal candidate would have experience with acquisition financings and commitment letters, whether representing lenders, private equity sponsors or corporate borrowers.
- The Finance group is seeking an associate with 2+ years of experience in structured finance and derivatives. The ideal candidate will be well-rounded and able to assist with structured work including fund finance, structured finance, derivatives, hedge fund trading docs and other complex financing products.
IP & Tech Transactions
- The IP & Tech Transactions group is seeking associates with 5+ years of experience. Life sciences interest and experience preferred. Technical background preferred, but not required. Our IP & Tech Transactions group advises leading international corporations and financial institutions across a full range of standalone and corporate transactions across all industries, including Tech, Media & Telecom; Fintech; Healthcare & Life Sciences; Consumer Products & Retail and Industrials.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- The Mergers & Acquisitions group is seeking associates with 2+ years of experience. Our Mergers & Acquisitions group is regularly involved in the largest and most complex mergers and acquisitions of the day. The ideal candidate would have strong transaction experience working on a variety of private equity M&A experience and commercial transactions. High level of academic achievement and solid law firm experience preferred.
Practice Resources Attorneys
Antitrust & Competition
- The Antitrust & Competition group is looking for a HSR Specialist & Practice Resources Attorney. This position will consist of (1) assisting with premerger notification filings under the HSR Act; (2) creating and maintaining practice group resources, such as standard forms and templates; (3) assisting with business development pitches and initiatives; and (4) coordinating training programs for the Antitrust & Competition practice group. Basic knowledge of antitrust and competition law, familiarity with HSR filing process, and excellent written and oral communication skills required. Ideal candidates have at least two years of experience as a practicing attorney, and one year of completing HSR filings. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- The Capital Markets group is looking for a Practice Resource Lawyer who will help meet the continuing knowledge needs of the group. The ideal candidate will have transactional experience (including IPOs and investment-grade and high-yield debt), as well as excellent and efficient writing skills, experience advising on SEC reporting and compliance obligations, and familiarity with practice involving the SEC, NYSE, Nasdaq and FINRA. Ideal candidates will have 5+ years of relevant experience in a large law firm environment.
- The Finance group is looking for an experienced coordinator who will work with the group’s practice resource attorneys to help implement projects designed to meet the knowledge needs of the group. Familiarity with content management systems and/or project management systems preferred but not required.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- The Mergers & Acquisitions group is looking for an experienced attorney who has practiced in the M&A area and who will help to develop and implement projects designed to meet the knowledge needs of the group. Ideal candidates will have 2+ years of relevant experience in a large law firm.
New York / Washington DC offices
Antitrust & Competition
- The Antitrust & Competition group is seeking associates with 3-6 years of experience. The ideal candidate would have a demonstrated interest in antitrust issues. Experience advising clients in mergers, antitrust investigations or antitrust-related class actions and government enforcement actions preferred but not required. High level of academic achievement and solid law firm experience preferred.
- The Financial Institutions group is seeking an associate to work on broker-dealer and derivatives regulation. Matters will include providing regulatory advice, preparing regulatory applications, developing policies and procedures, and supporting transactions and regulatory enforcement proceedings. Successful candidates will have experience in this area at a top law firm, financial institution or regulator, and significant familiarity with financial regulation, including SEC, FINRA, CFTC and other requirements concerning regulated entities and markets. Different experience levels will be considered.
- The Financial Institutions group is seeking an associate to work on bank regulatory matters. Matters will include providing regulatory advice, preparing regulatory applications, developing policies and procedures, and supporting transactions and regulatory enforcement proceedings. Successful candidates will have experience in this area at a top law firm, financial institution or regulator, and significant familiarity with financial regulation, including the Federal Reserve, OCC, FDIC and other requirements concerning bank regulation. Different experience levels will be considered.
Northern California office
- The Northern California office is seeking a lateral associate with 2-5 years’ experience to join our general Corporate practice. The Northern California office is the base for service to our West Coast clients. Our Corporate practice reflects the firm’s traditional strengths in advisory, banking, finance and transactional work focused on the distinct needs of technology and life science companies.
São Paulo / New York offices
- The São Paulo office is seeking a U.S. qualified associate with 4+ years of capital markets experience to focus on Brazilian matters. Native or fluent Portuguese language skills are required. Applicants can be based in São Paulo or New York.
São Paulo, Madrid and Tokyo
Beijing and Hong Kong
Davis Polk litigators are recognized for their extensive experience, creativity, integrity and ability to handle the most complex and challenging litigation matters for global clients. Approximately two-thirds of our litigators have clerked for federal or state judges, including Justices of the U.S. Supreme Court.
Trainee solicitors and Paris training
Our London and Hong Kong offices offer exemplary two-year training experiences. Trainee solicitors can expect early responsibility and meaningful work, including exposure to multiple practice areas. They grow professionally through excellent training programs, ongoing mentoring and unparalleled access to partners.
Our Paris office offers three- to six-month programs for law students interested in associate positions. They take place twice a year: from January to June and from July to December.