John B. Meade
As a partner in Davis Polk’s Corporate Department, Mr. Meade primarily represents issuer and underwriter clients in public and private securities offerings, and also advises on general corporate matters, including strategic and separation transactions, corporate governance and SEC reporting and compliance matters, for U.S. and non-U.S. corporations.
Notable capital markets transactions include:
- IPOs of Hudson Group, AVG, Butterfield Bank, Cellcom Israel, Synchrony Financial, Hilton Worldwide and Manchester United
- Equity offerings by General Mills, Horizon Global, Manchester United, Norwegian Cruise Line, Tribune Media, Signature Bank, Spectrum Brands and TelaDoc Health
- High-yield debt offerings by Blackboard, Comcel, Dufry, Enova International, Garrett Motion, HRG Group, Hearthside Group, Hilton Worldwide, Kissner Milling, Millicom, New Enterprise Stone and Lime, Norwegian Cruise Line, NXP, Resideo, Sandridge Energy, Service King, Spectrum Brands and Warner Music
- Investment-grade debt offerings by Butterfield Bank, Canadian National, Compass Bank, Emerson Electric, Fifth Third Bank, General Mills, Honeywell, IBM, JPMorgan, Legg Mason, L-3 Communications, Mylan, Nestlé, Ralph Lauren, Sallie Mae, Shire, Synchrony Financial and Verisk Analytics
Recent liability management transactions include the various transactions undertaken by General Electric as part of its reorganization of the businesses of General Electric Capital Corporation, including GECC’s $36 billion debt-for-debt exchange offer – the largest corporate debt-for-debt exchange offer ever completed
Recent strategic and separation transactions include: GE’s combination of GE Transportation with Wabtec, GE’s split-off of its stake in Synchrony Financial (the largest split-off ever completed), Emerson’s proposed spin-out, and subsequent sale of, its Network Power business, and the separation of Sallie Mae and Navient
Mr. Meade also advises U.S. and non-U.S. corporations in a variety of industries on strategic transactions, as well as on corporate governance, compliance and disclosure matters. Among the Firm’s corporate clients with whom he works closely are: BBVA USA, Comcast, Dufry, Morgan Stanley, Sallie Mae and Verisk Analytics.
He practiced in Davis Polk’s London office from 2003 to 2011 where he worked on cross-border corporate finance and strategic transactions.
Mr. Meade is recognized as a leading capital markets lawyer in various industry publications:
- Chambers USA
- Law360 – "MVP of the Year," 2014
- Member, Financial Reporting Committee of the New York City Bar Association
- Partner, 2009-present
- Associate, Davis Polk, 2001-2009
- Trainee Solicitor, McCann FitzGerald, Dublin, 1997-1999