Darren S. Klein
Advises on a wide range of restructurings and bankruptcies, both in and out of court.
Darren has substantial experience on a wide range of restructurings and bankruptcies, both in and out of court. He is recognized for his work in the restructuring field by industry publications including Chambers USA, IFLR1000 and Legal 500 U.S.
Darren is a member of the New York Society of Security Analysts, the American Bankruptcy Institute and the NextGen Leadership Program of the International Insolvency Institute. He is a CFA charterholder.
- The agent for the nearly $5 billion variable funding notes under the asset based securitization in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Hertz, Inc.
- An ad hoc group of 1.5-lien lenders in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Chesapeake Energy Corp.
- An ad hoc group of first-lien lenders in connection with the prepackaged chapter 11 cases of Hornbeck Offshore Services
- An ad hoc group of first-lien term lenders in connection with the prepackaged chapter 11 cases of American Commercial Barge Lines
- Southcross Energy LLC in connection with its chapter 11 cases
- EdgeMarc Energy LLC in connection with its chapter 11 cases
- An ad hoc group of power purchase agreement rejection damage claims in connection with the chapter 11 cases of First Energy Solutions
- An ad hoc group of first-lien lenders in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Nine West
- Volkswagen AG in connection with the global insolvency proceedings for Takata Corporation
- Several oil and gas companies and significant creditor groups in connection with the companies’
- The agent and arranger in connection with an $800 million debtor-in-possession financing and agent for the approximately $2.8 billion pre-petition first-lien credit facility in connection with Peabody Energy Corp.’s chapter 11 proceedings out-of-court restructurings and chapter 11 cases
- Delta Air Lines, Inc. in connection with a comprehensive and integrated global settlement to restructure Delta’s codeshare relationship with Republic Airways Holdings during Republic’s chapter 11 proceeding
- The first-out debtor-in-possession financing lenders and pre-petition ABL lenders in connection with the chapter 11 proceeding of RadioShack
- The Ad Hoc Group of Bondholders of Puerto Rico’s Government Development Bank in connection with Puerto Rico’s ongoing restructuring efforts
- The note purchasers, exchanging noteholders and lenders in connection with a $400 million debt out-of-court recapitalization and subsequent chapter 11 proceedings of Venoco, Inc.
- Investors in connection with bonds secured by Schahin II Finance Company (SPV) Limited and secured by the Sertão vessel
- The agent for the $100 million debtor-in-possession financing for Verso Corporation
- The agent for the approximately $3.9 billion pre-petition senior secured credit facility in the chapter 11 cases of Cengage Learning, Inc. and certain of its affiliates
- Patriot Coal and its affiliates in connection with their chapter 11 cases
- Pinnacle Airlines and its affiliates in connection with their chapter 11 cases
- Joint administrators and liquidators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) and its U.K. Lehman affiliates, including in connection with the tens of billions of dollars of claims that such companies have against Lehman’s U.S. entities
Chambers USA – Bankruptcy/Restructuring: The Elite, New York
IFLR1000 – Restructuring and Insolvency, United States, Highly regarded
Legal 500 U.S. – Restructuring (including Bankruptcy): Corporate
- Business Editor, Harvard Negotiation Law Review
- Partner, 2016-present
- Associate, Davis Polk, 2007-2016
- NERA, 2000-2004
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York