As co-head of Davis Polk’s global Capital Markets Group, Mr. Kaplan regularly works for issuers and underwriters in connection with capital markets and leveraged finance transactions, including initial public offerings and other equity offerings, as well as offerings of convertible and high-yield debt. He has worked on offerings involving issuers from a variety of industries ranging from technology and telecommunications to basic industry. Mr. Kaplan also regularly advises investment banking clients on securities law-related matters and corporate clients on general corporate matters, including corporate governance, SEC and Sarbanes-Oxley matters. Mr. Kaplan was named a Law360 “Capital Markets MVP” in 2015, and an AmLaw "Dealmaker of the Year" in 2012 for his work advising Delphi Automotive PLC on its IPO.
- IPOs for Hilton Hotels, Israel Chemicals Ltd., Coty Inc., Kamada Ltd., Taminco Corporation, U.S. Silica Corporation, Delphi Automotive PLC, Molycorp Minerals Inc., Mediamind Inc., and Wesco Aircraft Corporation
- High-yield debt offerings for GameStop, JCPenney, Hilton Hotels, Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Warner Chilcott, LyondellBasell, Spectrum Brands, Harbinger Capital, Momentive Specialty Chemicals, McGraw Hill Education, Seagate, Hovnanian, Western Refining, Digicel Group and NXP B.V.
- Primary partner for ExxonMobil, Ford Motor Company, PPL Corporation, Syngenta AG, Delphi Automotive, Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Digicel Limited and Cellcom Israel Limited, among others
Mr. Kaplan has represented major investment banks, including Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley, as underwriter’s counsel.
Mr. Kaplan is consistently recognized as a leading capital markets lawyer in various industry publications:
- Chambers Global – Capital Markets, Band 1
- Chambers USA – Capital Markets, Band 1
- Legal 500 U.S.
He is recognized as a leader in the legal industry:
- Law360 – "Capital Markets MVP," 2015
- The American Lawyer – “Dealmaker of the Year,” 2012
- Frequent speaker on securities law-related and general corporate matters, including corporate governance, SEC and Sarbanes-Oxley matters
- Presented at the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, the LSTA, the City Bar Association and Corporatecounsel.net
- Member, Working Group on Legal Opinions, American Bar Association
- Partner, 2003-present
- Associate, 1996-2003
- Law Clerk, Hon. Marie L. Garibaldi, Supreme Court of New Jersey, 1995-1996
Articles and Books
Third Circuit Finds Noteholders Have Right to Payment of Make-Whole Premium After Bankruptcy Acceleration | The Banking Law Journal, Volume 134, Number 3, March 2017
The Davis Polk Financial Crisis Manual
A Guide to the Laws, Regulations and Contracts of the Financial Crisis