Mr. Lebrun is a partner in Davis Polk’s Corporate Department, resident in the Tokyo office. He has extensive experience in public and private cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances and private equity transactions. A Japanese speaker, Mr. Lebrun has represented major Japanese companies and financial institutions on many of their largest and most significant transactions. He has also advised Japanese companies on internal investigations and governance issues.
- Kyocera Corporation in connection with its $1.03 billion tender offer for the shares of AVX Corporation it did not already own
- Tokyo Century Corporation in connection with its $3 billion acquisition of the remaining 75.5% interest it did not own in Aviation Capital Group LLC from Pacific Life Insurance Company
- OKI Electric Industry Co., Ltd. in the sale of OKI Brazil's IT services and software assets for banks and retailers to NCR Corporation
- A leading Japanese home builder in minority stake investments in two U.S. LED lighting ventures
Major investment banks as financial advisors in various transactions
Before joining Davis Polk, Mr. Lebrun’s representations included:
- Mizuho Bank, Ltd. in many transactions, including its acquisition of a 16% ownership interest in and alliance with Matthews International Capital Management, LLC ; its $3.2 billion acquisition of a $36.5 billion US and Canadian loan portfolio from Royal Bank of Scotland; its investment in CITIC Pacific, Ltd.; its acquisition of Banco WestLB do Brasil S.A.; its acquisition of EurekaHedge Pte., Ltd.; its $1.2 billion investment in Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc.; and its acquisition and subsequent sale of a 16% interest in Evercore Partners Inc.
- Uzabase, Inc. in its acquisition of Quartz Media LLC from Atlantic Media, Inc.
- Shiseido Co., Ltd. in various transactions, including its $485 million sale of Zotos International Inc. to Henkel Corporation and its $1.7 billion tender offer for Bare Escentuals, Inc.
- Sompo Holdings, Inc. in its $6.3 billion acquisition of Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd.
- CMC Biologics S.a.r.l. in the €500 million sale of its Danish and US operating subsidiaries to Asahi Glass Co., Ltd.
- SunEdison in the sale of SunEdison Japan and related solar energy assets in Japan
- Mizkan Holdings Co., Ltd. in its $2.2 billion acquisition from Unilever of the Ragú and Bertolli pasta sauce business
- Yamaha Corporation in its acquisition of Line 6, Inc.
- Japan Bank for International Cooperation in its preferred stock equity financing in JX Nippon Oil Exploration Ltd. in connection with the Petra Nova Carbon Capture Project and in its $620 million convertible preferred stock investment in Gavilon Agriculture Holdings, Co. in support of Marubeni Corporation's $2.6 billion acquisition of Gavilon's agricultural business
- Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of Itautec, a leading ATM manufacturer in Brazil, from Itausa
- Fujifilm Holdings Corporation in its $1 billion tender offer for SonoSite, Inc.
- Hitachi, Ltd. in its $233 million sale of Hitachi Semiconductor Singapore Pte. Ltd. to Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd.
- International Petroleum Investment Company (UAE) in its $775 million acquisition of a 20% interest in Cosmo Oil Co., Ltd.
- Major investment banks as financial advisors in various transactions
- Chambers Asia-Pacific – Corporate/M&A: International – Japan, Band 1
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific – Corporate and M&A: Japan, Leading Individual
- IFLR1000 – M&A and Private Equity: Japan, Market Leader
- Client Choice Award for M&A in Japan, 2010-2012, 2015
- Chair, Foreign Direct Investment Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan
- Committee Member, Working Group of the Japanese Cabinet Office for Revising Regulations and Administrative Procedures for Promotion of Foreign Direct Investment (2016-2017)
- Partner, Davis Polk since 2018
- Partner, Shearman & Sterling, Tokyo, 2007-2018
- Associate and Counsel, Shearman & Sterling, New York and Tokyo, 2000-2006
- Associate, White & Case, Tokyo, 1999-2000
- Associate, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, New York, 1997-1999