Advises clients on economic sanctions, export controls and AML matters. Extensive government experience at Treasury.
Will advises clients on the economic sanctions laws and regulations administered by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). Clients appreciate the extensive experience Will obtained serving for nearly 10 years as an attorney in the Office of the Chief Counsel, Foreign Assets Control, the legal office that supports OFAC.
In addition to sanctions, Will advises clients on U.S. anti-money laundering (AML) and export control laws and regulations, and also supports the firm’s practice before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).
- Represents clients in preparing voluntary self-disclosures, administrative subpoena responses and license applications to OFAC
- Represents clients in connection with economic sanctions investigations and enforcement actions by OFAC and other federal and state regulatory and law enforcement agencies
- Provides policy and compliance advice to clients affected by frequent changes in U.S. sanctions, including sanctions targeting Iran, Cuba, Russia/Ukraine, and Venezuela
- Advises financial institutions and other clients on compliance with U.S. AML laws and regulations, including as applied to emerging issues such as virtual currencies
- Assists clients in developing and updating economic sanctions and anti-money laundering compliance policies and procedures
- Represents lenders, underwriters, borrowers, and issuers in international lending and capital markets transactions regarding sanctions, anti-corruption and anti-money laundering issues
- Advises clients regarding sanctions-related inquiries from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and state agencies implementing divestment laws and assists clients in preparing sanctions-related disclosure for inclusion in annual reports to the SEC
Chambers USA – International Trade: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions, Up and Coming
Treasury Department Office of General Counsel – Miklos L. Lonkay Award for Excellence, 2016
Treasury Legal Division Award for Legal Research and Writing, 2014
- cum laude
- magna cum laude
- Counsel, Davis Polk, 2017-present
- Senior Counsel, Office of the Chief Counsel, Foreign Assets Control, U.S. Department of the Treasury, 2013-2017
- Attorney-Adviser, Office of Foreign Assets Control, U.S. Department of the Treasury, 2007-2013
- Associate, Wiley Rein, 2002-2007
Qualifications and admissions
- District of Columbia