Pro Bono Counsel for Humanitarian Immigration Matters. Leads our efforts to support clients seeking humanitarian immigration relief.
Nishan is our Pro Bono Counsel for Humanitarian Immigration Matters. He works with lawyers across the firm and our nonprofit partners to develop and supervise matters concerning humanitarian immigration relief. These pro bono matters include research, policy, impact litigation, appellate work, and direct representation of refugees, asylum seekers, survivors of human trafficking and others fleeing persecution.
Prior to joining Davis Polk, Nishan was a staff attorney at Immigration Equality, a national LGBTQ immigrant rights organization, where he co-managed their pro bono program, assisted with policy and impact litigation, and represented clients in both affirmative and defensive proceedings. He was previously an Equal Justice Works Fellow with the New York City Anti-Violence Project, where he developed AVP’s first coordinated outreach program, hate violence docket and holistic legal services program to support underserved LGBTQ immigrant survivors of violence.
- National LGBT Bar Association – “40 Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40,” 2020
- Editor, International Law Digest
- Pro Bono Counsel for Humanitarian Immigration Matters, 2023-present
- Pro Bono Attorney for Humanitarian Immigration Matters, Davis Polk, 2021-2023
- Staff Attorney, Immigration Equality, 2017-2021
- Equal Justice Works Fellow, NYC Anti-Violence Project, 2014-2017
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York