Joseph S. Payne
Represents issuers and financial institutions on a variety of public and private capital markets transactions.
Joe advises issuers and financial institutions on a variety of public and private capital markets transactions, including IPOs and other equity offerings, investment-grade and high-yield debt financings, as well as liability management transactions. Joe brings his experience in securities offerings to clients in a range of industries, including biotech, consumer goods, financial services, industrials, natural resources, pharmaceuticals, TMT, transportation and utilities.
In recent years, Joe has advised on a number of transactions involving special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs). He also advises U.S. public companies on general corporate, securities law and governance matters.
Joe has practiced in both London and New York. Prior to law school, he served as a Surface Warfare Officer in the United States Navy. His military decorations include the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal.
Joe’s recent experience includes advising on:
- The completed initial public offerings of Amerant Bank, Capitol Investment Corp. IV, Corsair Partnering Corp., Freeline Therapeutics, loanDepot, Gamida Cell, HumanCo Acquisition Corp. and Recursion Therapeutics as well as several other confidentially submitted IPOs.
- Follow-on and/or secondary equity offerings of Alight, First Data, IVERIC bio, LSB Industries, Manchester United, Pernix Therapeutics and Precigen
- High-yield notes offerings by Beazer Homes, Blackboard, Freeport-McMoRan, Kissner Milling, loanDepot, StoneMor and Windstream
- Investment-grade debt offerings by Ally Financial, Bristol Myers Squibb, Cardinal Health, Celgene, CSX, KKR, Magellan Health, Mastercard and PPG Industries
- Equity-linked offerings by Norwegian Cruise Lines, Pernix Therapeutics, Plug Power, Silicon Laboratories and Tabula Rasa
- Liability management transactions involving Beazer Homes, Bristol Myers Squibb, Celgene, Comcast, Freeport-McMoRan, Neovia Logistics, Pernix Therapeutics, Range Resources and Windstream
Prior to joining Davis Polk, Joe’s representations included:
- The initial public offerings of Edita Foods and Sanitec-Oyj
- The inaugural high yield bond offerings of numerous European issuers, including Darty, HEMA, HP Pelzer, Interoute, the Public Power Corporation of Greece and Volvo Cars
- Investment-grade debt offerings by American Tower Corporation and Huntington Bancshares
- James Kent Scholar
- Parker School Recognition of Achievement in International and Comparative Law
- Public Affairs Editor, Columbia Journal of Transnational Law
- Counsel, 2020-present
- Davis Polk since 2016
- Associate, Shearman & Sterling (London), 2013-2016
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York