Joseph A. Hall
Joe is a member of our Capital Markets team and co-head of our interdisciplinary ESG practice. His practice includes advising companies and investment banks on IPOs, block trades and investment-grade, high-yield and convertible debt offerings.
Joe has advised on the securities law aspects of blockchain-based digital asset creation and distribution since 2014 and regularly interacts with the SEC on digital asset matters. His clients include companies and funds native to the space as well as companies embarking on digital asset projects and transactions.
An authority on public company governance and SEC reporting, Joe regularly advises on corporate governance and reporting obligations, sensitive C-suite and board matters, and securities law compliance. Joe also advises on the regulation of credit rating agencies.
Earlier in his career, Joe spent two years at the Securities and Exchange Commission, ultimately as Managing Executive for Policy under Chairman William H. Donaldson.
- Clarivate $5.3 billion acquisition of ProQuest
- Galaxy Digital $1.2 billion acquisition of BitGo, U.S. domestication and listing
- Anthem $3.5 billion senior notes offering
- Murphy Oil $550 million notes offering
- Murphy USA $1.25 billion financing
- NYSE secures SEC approval of direct listing rule changes
- MicroStrategy $650 million convertible senior notes offering
- Murphy USA $645 million acquisition of QuickChek
- Intercontinental Exchange $894.4 million block trade
- PIMCO Dynamic Income Fund follow-on offering
- Grayscale Ethereum Trust share registration
- Intercontinental Exchange $920 million block trade
- NYSE asks SEC to lift stay of NYSE’s direct listing rule changes
- Intercontinental Exchange $6.5 billion notes offering
- Visa $3.25 billion notes offering
- Clarivate $6.8 billion combination with CPA Global
- Charles Bathgate Beck Prize
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- James Kent Scholar
- Notes and Comments Editor, Columbia Law Review
- with highest honors
- Partner, Davis Polk, 1999-2003 and 2005-present
- Managing Executive for Policy and Market Regulation Counsel for Chairman William H. Donaldson, Securities and Exchange Commission, 2003-2005
- Corporate Counsel, Reuters America, 1994-1996
- Associate, Davis Polk, 1989-1994 and 1996-1999