Damian S. Schaible
Co-head of Restructuring. Nationally recognized leader in advising creditors, ad hoc groups and other parties in restructurings and other complex transactions.
Damian is co-head of our Restructuring practice, with extensive experience in a wide range of corporate restructurings and bankruptcies. He represents creditors, ad hoc groups, debtors, asset purchasers and other strategic parties in prepackaged and traditional bankruptcies, out-of-court workouts, financings, litigation, section 363 sales and liability management transactions.
Damian is a leading restructuring lawyer and thought leader. He was twice named an “Outstanding Restructuring Lawyer” by Turnarounds & Workouts and twice named a Law360 “Energy MVP of the Year.” He is a Contributing Author of Collier on Bankruptcy and a member of the U.S. Judicial Conference Advisory Committee on Bankruptcy Rules, and has also served on the executive committees of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the New York City Bar Association.
An Eagle Scout, Damian serves on the boards of Boy Scouts of America’s Greater New York Councils, the Lighthouse International Film Festival and A House on Beekman.
- Creditor and ad hoc group representations include Washington Prime, Chesapeake Energy, California Resources, Fieldwood Energy, McDermott International, Murray Energy, Fusion Connect, GenOn Energy, Philadelphia Energy, Expro Group, Bristow Group, Cloud Peak Energy, CTI Foods, Ultra Petroleum, Stearns Holdings, Tenrgys, Basic Energy, Avianca, Alta Mesa Resources, FTS International, Superior Energy Services, Riverbed Technology, Team, Inc., Limetree Bay Terminals, Sheridan Holding I, Sheridan Holding II, Ferrellgas, Sable Permian Resources, Essar Steel Algoma, Venoco, Acosta, Speedcast, Hornbeck Offshore, American Commercial Lines, Key Energy, VIP Cinema, Cloud Peak Energy, Dixie Electric and Tervita, SandRidge Energy, RadioShack
- Senior lender or agent representations (including pre-petition, DIP and exit facilities) for institutions such as Citibank, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America and Credit Suisse, in cases including Alpha Natural Resources, Peabody Energy, Avaya, Brazos Electric, Pinnacle Operating, Harvey Gulf International Marine, Pacific Exploration, JG Wentworth, Crossmark Holdings, iHeartMedia, Enduro Resource Partners, Ascent Resources and Cengage Learning, C&J Energy, Connacher, Exide Technologies
- Acquirers or sellers in section 363 or plan sales including Fieldwood Energy, Murray Energy, Fusion Connect, Ascena Retail Group, Cloud Peak Energy, Essar Steel Algoma, GenOn Energy
- Liability management, amendment and exchange transactions including Ultra Petroleum, Murray Energy, Riverbed Technologies, Venoco, Peabody Energy, Ligado Networks, Limetree Bay Terminals, Team, Inc., Key Energy, Sable Permian Resources, Denbury Resources, Synchronoss Technologies, Tonon Bioenergia
- Debtor representations include Chaparral Energy, Patriot Coal, Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, Pinnacle Airlines, TerraVia, Magnetation
Chambers USA – Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Band 1
Chambers Global – Bankruptcy/Restructuring
IFLR1000 – Restructuring and Insolvency, US, Highly Regarded
Who’s Who Legal – Restructuring & Insolvency, Thought Leader and Global Leader
Turnarounds & Workouts – “Outstanding Restructuring Lawyer,” 2015 and 2020
Law360 – “Energy MVP of the Year,” 2017 and 2021
Law360 – “Rising Star,” 2014
New York Law Journal – “Rising Star,” 2013
- Order of the Coif
- magna cum laude
- Notes Editor, New York University Law Review
- Phi Beta Kappa
- magna cum laude
- Partner, 2009-present
- Associate, 2002-2009
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, E.D. Michigan
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York