Brian M. Resnick
Nationally recognized adviser on corporate restructuring and bankruptcy matters. American College of Bankruptcy Fellow. American Lawyer 2020 “Dealmaker of the Year.”
Brian has deep experience in corporate restructurings and bankruptcies, representing debtors, creditors, banks, hedge funds, asset acquirers and other strategic parties in bankruptcies, out-of-court workouts, financings, litigation and section 363 sales.
He is regularly ranked as a leading restructuring lawyer and, in 2020, was named an American Lawyer “Dealmaker of the Year” and one of Law360’s six Bankruptcy MVPs nationwide. He is a thought leader who regularly lectures and writes on bankruptcy topics, including co-authoring the book Credit-Bidding in Bankruptcy Sales. He is a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy, on the boards of Her Justice and the Columbia Business Law Review and a member of the SDNY Bankruptcy Rules Committee and NYBA’s Bankruptcy and Reorganization Committee.
- Debtor representations include Dean Foods, Bonanza Creek Energy, Arch Coal, Patriot Coal, James River Coal and Delta Air Lines.
- Ad hoc group of creditor representations include Commonwealth of Puerto Rico bondholder group, Save-a-Lot, Blackhawk Mining, Jones Energy, Midstates Petroleum, Memorial Production Partners, Legacy Reserves and Vanguard Natural Resources.
- Senior lender or agent representations (including pre-petition, DIP and exit facilities) for institutions such as JPMorgan Chase, Citibank and Credit Suisse, for cases including Windstream, Briggs & Stratton, Ditech, Catalina Marketing, Outcome Health, Foxwoods, Eastman Kodak and Delphi.
- Acquirers in Section 363 or Plan sales in Paper Source (purchaser Elliott Investment Management), Garret Motion (stalking horse bidder KPS Capital Partners), Arena Energy (purchaser San Juan Offshore) and GPX Tires (purchaser Warburg Pincus and Alliance Tire Group).
- Independent director representations include EP Energy, Synergy Pharmaceutical and MF Global.
- Counsel to the Ad Hoc Group of Bondholders of Puerto Rico’s Government Development Bank in devising the first-ever restructuring of a Puerto Rico entity under PROMESA.
- Counsel to the joint administrators and liquidators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) and its U.K. Lehman affiliates, including in connection with tens of billions of dollars of claims against Lehman’s U.S. entities.
- Counsel to 23 financial institution counterparties to monoline insurer Syncora Guarantee Inc. in connection with a comprehensive restructuring of credit default swap and financial guarantee obligations aggregating over $160 billion.
- Counsel to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York with respect to more than $150 billion in financings for American International Group (AIG).
American Lawyer – “Dealmaker of the Year,” 2020
Law360 – “Bankruptcy MVP of the Year,” 2020; "Rising Star: Bankruptcy," 2013
Chambers USA – Bankruptcy/Restructuring, New York
IFLR1000 – Restructuring and Insolvency, United States, Highly regarded
The Deal – “Top Bankruptcy Lawyer,” 2017
Turnarounds & Workouts – "Outstanding Restructuring Lawyer," 2016; “Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyer,” 2012
Lawdragon – 500 Leading Global Restructuring & Insolvency Lawyers, 2020
Super Lawyers – “Outstanding Bankruptcy Lawyer”
WhyHunger – Harry Chapin Humanitarian Award, 2021
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Member, Columbia Business Law Review
- Partner, 2011-present
- Associate, 2003-2011
Qualifications and Admissions
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York