Davis Polk partners Greg Andres and Angela Burgess will be among the speakers at the American Conference Institute’s 36th International Conference on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Andres will speak on the “Legal, Compliance and Financial Gatekeepers as Defendants: The Realities of New, Rising Prosecution Risks Confronting Individuals” panel. Topics discussed will include:
- In-house and outside counsel, compliance officers and financial executives under the microscope: Defense counsel perspectives on emerging new liability trends
- The move toward prosecutions of corporate gatekeepers in particular, including general counsel, chief compliance officers and accountants
- Scope of the in-house legal and compliance officers’ obligations to investigate potential red flags and monitor suspicious activity
- Recent enforcement actions against individual executives and key takeaways
Burgess will moderate the “FCPA Year in Review” panel alongside Charles Cain, head of the SEC’s FCPA unit, and Christopher Cestaro, head of the Department of Justice’s FCPA unit. Topics discussed will include:
- Is there a move toward being more “corporate friendly?”
- Prosecutions of individuals under the new Department of Justice policy
- Anticipated direction of FCPA enforcement for the upcoming year
- Focus on individual vs. corporate enforcement
The program will be held December 4-5, 2019, in Washington DC.
For more information, please visit the event website.