Supervisor, Word Processing
Monday-Friday, 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Sunday/Monday/Friday, 7:00 p.m. – 7:30 a.m.
The Proofreader is responsible for proofreading and editing a variety of legal documents and other printed documentation, correcting format and style as well as correcting errors in type, grammar, punctuation, and spelling using proofreader’s marks or Acrobat software.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Proof all legal and business documents, including EDGAR documents, quickly and accurately as per the lawyer’s request
- Read proof against master and correct errors in type, format, grammar, punctuation, or spelling
- Mark corrections on proofs using standard proofreader marks and symbols by writing and/or inserting text callouts using the Acrobat commenting tool
- Consult with reference books or online guides for rules of grammar, punctuation and spelling
- Ensure that documentation meets document standards and that the style is consistent throughout document
- Proof “cold read” documents, i.e., without referring to text or post proofs
- Make suggestions for improved readability and note any queries for lawyers
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
- Must be highly skilled in the English language
- Possess excellent spelling, grammar, and punctuation skills
- Must be detail-oriented, working both accurately and quickly
- Be able to concentrate on material that may be lengthy, dense, or technical
- Possess the ability to blackline including cumulative blackline
- Have the ability to meet deadlines
- Must be able to read and understand documentation and write clearly, concisely, and legibly
- Comply with department procedures, practices, and Firm policies
- Must be able to work collaboratively with lawyers and business services professionals, demonstrating strong teamwork and a positive attitude
- Flexibility in daily schedule to accommodate unexpected situations
- Ability to maintain composure and cope with varied situations
- Ensure confidentiality of all documentation and information
- Minimum of 3 years of legal or financial center proofreading experience is required
- Bachelor’s degree in English
The expected base salary for this position ranges from $75,000 - $80,000. Salary offers are based on a wide range of factors including relevant skills, training, experience, education, and, where applicable, licensure or certifications obtained. Market and organizational factors are also considered. Davis Polk offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter.Apply by email