Richard D. Truesdell, Jr.
Mr. Truesdell is co-head of Davis Polk’s global Capital Markets Group. He is the only lawyer ranked as a “star individual” by Chambers for capital markets where he was described by clients as “simply the best capital markets lawyer in the world.” The Financial Times identified him as one of the 10 most innovative individuals nationwide in its 2011 “U.S. Innovative Lawyers” special report. He was also named one of the country’s 3 “Most Influential Lawyers” in Finance and Capital Markets by The National Law Journal, which credited him with helping “hoist the economy back to its feet” and named Transatlantic Finance Dealmaker (U.S.) by American Lawyer in 2015.
Mr. Truesdell represents clients in U.S. and international capital markets transactions and advises on corporate governance and securities market regulation. He has represented all of the major investment banks, including Citi, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley, as well as issuers in all economic sectors. He has extensive experience with a wide variety of both public and private debt and equity offerings by U.S. and non-U.S. issuers, including initial public offerings, convertible offerings and high-yield debt financings.
- Completed more US IPOs than any other lawyer in multiple years. Recently completed IPOs include Ablynx, AC Immune, Applied Therapeutics, Aprea Therapeutics, Atea Pharmaceuticals, Biodesix, Biotie Therapeutics, Black Diamond Therapeutics, BRP Group, Calyxt, Centogene, Charah Solutions, ConforMIS, Constellation Pharmaceuticals, CureVac, DataDog, Deciphera, Editas Medicine, EndoChoice, Evolent Health, First Data, Focus Financial, Fogo de Chão, Freeline Therapeutics, Galapagos, Gatos Silver, Goosehead Insurance, Hamilton Lane, Immunocore, Kinsale Insurance, Legend Biotech, Mersana Therapeutics, Metropolitan Bank, Mission Produce, Novocure, ProSight, REGENXBIO, REV Group, Royalty Pharma, Spark Therapeutics, Spotify, Tamar Petroleum International, Transmedics, Trean Insurance, Watford Holdings, WideOpenWest and Zai Labs.
- Completed the first direct listing on the New York Stock Exchange (Spotify) and the first direct listing on Nasdaq (Watford Holdings).
- Completed the largest convertible offering in history ($6.9 billion offering of perpetual convertible stock by a major financial institution)
- Completed the largest high-yield offering in history at the time ($6 billion offering of high-yield notes by Freeport-McMoRan Copper and Gold)
- Law360 – "Capital Markets MVP of the Year," 2018, 2020
- Chambers USA – New York Awards, "Outstanding Contribution Award,” 2019
- Chambers USA & Global – Capital Markets, Band Star
- IFLR Americas Awards – "Outstanding Achievement Award," 2019
- IFLR1000 – Capital Markets (Debt, Equity, High yield), Highly regarded
- Who’s Who Legal –Capital Markets: Debt and Equity, Global Leader
- Legal 500 U.S. – Capital Markets (Debt Offerings, Equity Offerings and Global Offerings), Hall of Fame
- BTI Consulting Group – “BTI Client Service All-Star,” 2019
- Partner, 1993-present
- Associate, 1986-1993
Articles and Books
Implementing the Conflict Minerals Rule | Insights, The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor, Vol. 27, No. 2
Corporate Governance Practices in US Initial Public Offerings | Practical Law - The Journal
Pushing Back on Pressure for Independent Board Chairs | New York Law Journal