Paul J. Nathanson
Mr. Nathanson is counsel in Davis Polk’s Litigation Department, practicing in the Washington DC office. His practice focuses on white collar criminal defense matters and government and internal investigations.
Mr. Nathanson, a former law clerk to Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., is an experienced trial lawyer, having joined Davis Polk after serving as Deputy Chief of the Financial Crimes and Public Corruption Unit of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia. As a prosecutor, Mr. Nathanson investigated and prosecuted a wide variety of complex white collar criminal cases, including securities, bank, and health care fraud, and bribery offenses, such as Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations. His notable public cases include the conviction at trial of a mortgage company executive described by the Wall Street Journal as the most senior executive convicted of conduct related to the financial crisis, and the conviction of a faux CIA veteran and Fox News commentator on government fraud charges.
While a prosecutor, Mr. Nathanson was a recipient of the Attorney General’s Distinguished Service Award, the Assistant Attorney General’s Exceptional Service Award, the Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency Award for Excellence, and FBI Washington Field Office Outstanding Service Awards.
Prior to his tenure at the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Mr. Nathanson served at the U.S. Treasury Department, first as a member of the joint White House/Treasury team that crafted the restructuring strategies for Chrysler and General Motors and successfully shepherded both companies through bankruptcy, and later as a senior advisor to the Treasury Department General Counsel.
Mr. Nathanson has a finance background and, earlier in his career, worked in investment banking and private equity.
District of Columbia
State of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
B.S., Economics, University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School, 1998
- summa cum laude
J.D., Harvard Law School, 2004
- magna cum laude
- Editor, Harvard Law Review
- Counsel, Davis Polk since 2016
- Deputy Chief, Financial Crimes and Public Corruption Unit, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2014-2016
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Financial Crimes and Public Corruption Unit, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2010-2016
- Auto Task Force and Senior Advisor to the General Counsel, U.S. Department of the Treasury, 2009
- Associate, Baker Botts, 2007-2009
- Associate, Quadrangle Group, 2000-2001
- Analyst, Lazard Frères & Co., 1998-2000
- Law Clerk, Hon. John G. Roberts Jr., U.S. Supreme Court, 2006-2007
- Law Clerk, Hon. Laurence H. Silberman, U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit, 2005-2006
- Law Clerk, Hon. Paul V. Niemeyer, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2004-2005