Mr. Kaplan is a member of Davis Polk’s three-person Management Committee and head of the Firm’s Corporate Department. He is ranked in the top band of lawyers by Chambers USA, which quotes clients describing Mr. Kaplan as “superb,” a “brilliant lawyer who is very responsive and understands business issues very well”, with “so much experience representing both issuers and underwriters” and “very practical when it comes to finding solutions.” Mr. Kaplan has been named a Law360 “Capital Markets MVP of the Year” and an American Lawyer “Dealmaker of the Year”.
Mr. Kaplan advises issuers and underwriters in connection with a wide range of U.S. and international capital markets and leveraged finance transactions, including initial public offerings and other equity offerings, as well as convertible and high-yield debt issuance. He has worked on transactions in sectors ranging from technology and telecommunications to basic industry. Mr. Kaplan also regularly advises investment banking clients on securities-law-related matters and advises corporate clients in areas including corporate governance and SEC and Sarbanes-Oxley matters.
- IPOs for Allegro MicroSystems, Array Technologies, Pactiv Evergreen, American Well Corporation, Max Stock Ltd., Oak Street Health, Rocket Companies, Rackspace, Jamf Holdings, Warner Music Group, Reynolds Consumer Products, TFI International, Silvergate Capital Corporation, Tradeweb, Chewy's, Oportun Financial, Hilton Hotels, Israel Chemicals Ltd., Coty Inc., Taminco Corporation, U.S. Silica Corporation, Aptiv PLC, Mediamind Inc., and Wesco Aircraft Corporation
- High-yield debt offerings for Uber, Uniti Group, iHeartMedia, YUM! Brands, Energizer Holdings, XPO Logistics, Clear Channel Outdoors, Quicken Loans, GameStop, Hilton Hotels, Bausch Health, LyondellBasell, Spectrum Brands, Zebra Technologies, Nuance Communications, Hexion, Dun & Bradstreet, McGraw Hill Education, Seagate, Hovnanian, Western Refining, Digicel Group and NXP B.V.
- Primary partner for ExxonMobil, Ford Motor Company, PPL Corporation, Uniti Group Inc., Syngenta AG, Aptiv PLC, Bausch Health, Israel Chemical Ltd., Amdocs Ltd., Digicel Limited and Cellcom Israel Limited, among others
- Mr. Kaplan has represented major investment banks, including Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley, as underwriter’s counsel.
Mr. Kaplan is consistently recognized as a leading capital markets lawyer in various industry publications:
- Chambers Global – Capital Markets, Band 1
- Chambers USA – Capital Markets, Band 1
- Chambers Israel – Capital Markets (Expertise Based Abroad)
- Legal 500 U.S.
He is recognized as a leader in the legal industry:
- Law360 – "Capital Markets MVP," 2015
- The American Lawyer – “Dealmaker of the Year,” 2012
- Frequent speaker on securities law-related and general corporate matters, including corporate governance, SEC and Sarbanes-Oxley matters
- Presented at the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, the LSTA, the City Bar Association and Corporatecounsel.net
- Member, Working Group on Legal Opinions, American Bar Association
- Partner, 2003-present
- Associate, 1996-2003
- Law Clerk, Hon. Marie L. Garibaldi, Supreme Court of New Jersey, 1995-1996
Articles and Books
Third Circuit Finds Noteholders Have Right to Payment of Make-Whole Premium After Bankruptcy Acceleration | The Banking Law Journal, Volume 134, Number 3, March 2017
The Davis Polk Financial Crisis Manual
A Guide to the Laws, Regulations and Contracts of the Financial Crisis