Mr. Ramani heads Davis Polk’s IP Litigation practice. A Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, he focuses his practice on patent and trade-secret litigation and investigations. Leading publications, including Chambers and the Daily Journal, have repeatedly recognized Mr. Ramani as among the country’s best IP trial lawyers.
Mr. Ramani has tried 19 cases, including three in the U.S. ITC as lead counsel. He has represented leading technology companies in these matters, including Comcast, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, Netflix, MediaTek, Hulu, Google, and Qualcomm. For his plaintiff clients, he has secured multiple nine-figure settlements and obtained a permanent injunction after winning a jury trial. For his defendant clients, he has won a finding of no violation on multiple patents before the ITC and a walk-away settlement during a trade-secret jury trial.
Comcast: Served as lead trial counsel for Comcast in patent litigations against Rovi (now part of Xperi) in multiple federal district courts, the ITC, the Federal Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court in which Rovi asserted 37 patents over four-plus years.
- Merck v. Pfizer: Lead trial counsel defending Pfizer against trade-secret-misappropriation and other claims brought by Merck related to pneumococcal vaccines in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Magnolia Medical Technologies v. Kurin: Lead trial counsel for plaintiff Magnolia Medical Technologies in patent litigation brought in the District of Delaware against Magnolia’s sole competitor in the field of Initial Specimen Diversion Devices.
- CareCentrix v. Signify Health: Defending Signify Health against trade-secret-misappropriation and other claims in Delaware federal court, including defending against a preliminary injunction.
- Innovative Foundry Technologies v. TSMC: Defended TSMC against ITC investigation initiated by IFT on five semiconductor foundry patents.
- Large multinational ITC complaint: Prepared ITC complaint for large multinational client accusing competitor of infringing four patents. Received OUII approval for filing shortly before parties entered into a cross license.
- Trade-secret investigations: Have advised several clients, from technology multinationals to biopharma startups, as to alleged trade-secret misappropriation by newly hired executives and have overseen related internal investigations.
- TEK Global v. Sealant Systems International: As lead trial counsel, secured a permanent injunction and $2.8 million jury verdict for TEK Global in a dispute with competitor Sealant Systems International.*
- Netflix v. Rovi: As lead trial counsel, successfully defended Netflix and Roku at trial in the ITC and in follow-on district-court litigation that resulted in all asserted Rovi patents being found invalid on summary judgment.*
- TSMC v. SMIC: Represented TSMC against China’s then-leading semiconductor manufacturer, SMIC, in the largest trade-secret case tried to that time, securing a jury verdict on liability for TSMC that prompted a very favorable settlement.*
- A multinational biotechnology company v. a biopharmaceutical company: Achieved favorable progress in a fiduciary-duty and trade-secret litigation that contributed to another biotechnology company acquiring the client for $365 million mid-trial.*
- Genentech v. Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania: Sought for client Genentech a declaration of non-infringement and invalidity of a University of Pennsylvania patent that purported to cover a specific breast cancer therapy. After a very successful pretrial conference, negotiated a settlement at a small fraction of damages sought.*
* Selected representations before joining Davis Polk
- Chambers USA – Intellectual Property: Patent, California
- Daily Journal – “Top Intellectual Property Lawyers in California,” since 2014
- IAM Patent 1000 - United States-California, Gold Band
- Best Lawyers – Intellectual Property and Patent Litigation
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Member, N.D. Cal. Patent Instructions and Rules Attorney Advisory Committee
- Faculty, National Institute of Trial Advocacy’s Western Region trial-skills course
- Master, Edward J. McFetridge American Inn of Court
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2018-present
- Partner, Keker, Van Nest & Peters, 2006-2018
- Associate, Keker & Van Nest, 2003-2005
- Associate, Howard, Rice, Nemrovski, Canady, Falk & Rabkin, 2000-2002
- Associate, Latham & Watkins, 1998-1999
- Law Clerk, Hon. Henry H. Kennedy Jr., U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 1999-2000