Mr. Ramani is a partner in Davis Polk’s Litigation Department, practicing in Northern California and Head of the IP Litigation practice. He is an experienced trial lawyer who focuses his practice on patent and trade-secret litigation and investigations. Leading publications, including Chambers and the Daily Journal, have repeatedly recognized Mr. Ramani as among the country’s best IP lawyers. Mr. Ramani also has substantial experience defending class actions and trying complex commercial disputes, including arbitrations.
Mr. Ramani has tried 17 cases, including two in the U.S. ITC as lead counsel. He has handled over 20 engagements that focus on semiconductors for clients including most recently TSMC, Broadcom and Cadence Design Systems. Before joining Davis Polk in 2018, Mr. Ramani spent 15 years at Keker & Van Nest.
Before joining Davis Polk, Mr. Ramani’s representations included:
- TEK Global SRL v. Sealant Systems International: As lead trial counsel, secured a permanent injunction and $2.8 million jury verdict for TEK Global SRL in a dispute with competitor Sealant Systems International Inc.
- Straight Path IP Group v. Hulu: As lead trial counsel, successfully represented Hulu and led joint-defense group in turning away Straight Path’s infringement allegations as to four patents.
- Netflix v. Rovi: As lead trial counsel, successfully defended Netflix and Roku at trial in the U.S. International Trade Commission and in follow-on district-court litigation that resulted in all asserted Rovi patents being found invalid on summary judgment.
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company v. Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation: Represented TSMC against China’s then-leading semiconductor manufacturer, SMIC, in the largest trade-secret case tried to that time, securing a jury verdict on liability for TSMC that prompted a very favorable settlement.
- Multinational Biotechnology Company v. Biopharmaceutical Company: Aided by the favorable progress in a fiduciary-duty and trade-secret, another biotechnology company acquired Mr. Ramani’s client for $365 million mid-trial.
- Abbott v. Medtronic: Represented Medtronic in a patent-infringement dispute with Abbott. The District Court judge terminated an injunction upon the patent’s natural expiration date and, as a result, Medtronic's Endeavor Rx stent is now for sale on the U.S. market.
- Broadcom Corporation v. SiRF Technology and CSR: Served as trial counsel for Broadcom and asserted multiple patents covering graphics, video processing and digital signal processing techniques, as well as claims arising under the Lanham Act and unfair competition laws, against SiRF and its parent CSR. This case, along with other actions between the parties, settled shortly before trial on terms that were very favorable to Broadcom.
- Genentech v. The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania: Sought for client Genentech a declaration of non-infringement and invalidity of a University of Pennsylvania patent that purported to cover a specific breast cancer therapy. After a very successful pretrial conference, negotiated a settlement at a small fraction of damages sought.
Mr. Ramani has been widely recognized by legal industry publications, including:
- Chambers USA – Intellectual Property, since 2016
- Daily Journal – Top California IP Lawyers, since 2014
- Best Lawyers – Intellectual Property and Patent Litigation, since 2012
- Managing Intellectual Property – IP Star, since 2016
- Northern California Super Lawyers – IP Litigation, since 2009
- Top 100 Lawyers, Northern California Super Lawyers – 2015-2016
- IAM Patent 1000 – World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, 2014-2015
- Legal 500 – Patent Litigation, 2007 and 2009
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Member, N.D. Cal. Patent Instructions and Rules Attorney Advisory Committee
- Chair, Board of Directors, Advancing Justice, Asian Law Caucus
- Faculty, National Institute of Trial Advocacy’s Western Region trial-skills course
- Barrister, Edward J. McFetridge American Inn of Court
- Partner, Davis Polk since 2018
- Partner, Keker, Van Nest & Peters, 2006-2018
- Associate, Keker & Van Nest, 2003-2005
- Associate, Howard, Rice, Nemrovski, Canady, Falk & Rabkin, 2000-2002
- Associate, Latham & Watkins, 1998-1999
- Law Clerk, Hon. Henry H. Kennedy Jr., U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 1999-2000