Mr. Ramani heads Davis Polk’s IP Litigation practice. A Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, he focuses his practice on patent and trade-secret litigation and investigations. Leading publications, including Chambers and the Daily Journal, have repeatedly recognized Mr. Ramani as among the country’s best IP trial lawyers.
Mr. Ramani has tried 18 cases, including three in the U.S. ITC as lead counsel. He has represented leading technology companies in these matters, including Comcast, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, Netflix, MediaTek, Hulu, Google, and Qualcomm. For his plaintiff clients, he has secured multiple nine-figure settlements and obtained a permanent injunction after winning a jury trial. For his defendant clients, he has won a finding of no violation on multiple patents before the ITC and a walk-away settlement during a trade-secret jury trial.
- Comcast Corp.: Lead counsel for Comcast in patent litigations against Rovi Corporation (now part of TiVo) pending in multiple federal district courts, the ITC, and the Federal Circuit, in which Rovi has to date asserted 37 patents in its efforts to secure a renewal of Comcast’s portfolio license.
- Innovative Foundry Technologies, Inc. v. TSMC: Defend TSMC against ITC investigation initiated by IFT on five semiconductor foundry patents.
- Large multinational ITC complaint: Prepare ITC complaint for large multinational client accusing competitor of infringing four patents. Received OUII approval for filing shortly before parties entered cross license.
- Trade-secret investigations: Advise several different clients, from technology multinationals to biopharma start-ups, as to alleged trade-secret misappropriation by newly hired executives and oversee internal investigations re same.
- TEK Global SRL v. Sealant Systems International: As lead trial counsel, secured a permanent injunction and $2.8 million jury verdict for TEK Global SRL in a dispute with competitor Sealant Systems International Inc.*
- Straight Path IP Group v. Hulu: As lead trial counsel, successfully represented Hulu and led joint-defense group in turning away Straight Path’s infringement allegations as to four patents.*
- Netflix v. Rovi: As lead trial counsel, successfully defended Netflix and Roku at trial in the U.S. International Trade Commission and in follow-on district-court litigation that resulted in all asserted Rovi patents being found invalid on summary judgment.*
- TSMC v. SMIC: Represented TSMC against China’s then-leading semiconductor manufacturer, SMIC, in the largest trade-secret case tried to that time, securing a jury verdict on liability for TSMC that prompted a very favorable settlement.*
- Multinational Biotechnology Company v. Biopharmaceutical Company: Aided by the favorable progress in a fiduciary-duty and trade-secret, another biotechnology company acquired Mr. Ramani’s client for $365 million mid-trial.*
- Abbott v. Medtronic: Represented Medtronic in a patent-infringement dispute with Abbott. The District Court judge terminated an injunction upon the patent’s natural expiration date and, as a result, Medtronic's Endeavor Rx stent is now for sale on the U.S. market.*
- Broadcom Corporation v. SiRF Technology and CSR: Served as trial counsel for Broadcom and asserted multiple patents covering graphics, video processing and digital signal processing techniques, as well as claims arising under the Lanham Act and unfair competition laws, against SiRF and its parent CSR. This case, along with other actions between the parties, settled shortly before trial on terms that were very favorable to Broadcom.*
- Genentech v. The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania: Sought for client Genentech a declaration of non-infringement and invalidity of a University of Pennsylvania patent that purported to cover a specific breast cancer therapy. After a very successful pretrial conference, negotiated a settlement at a small fraction of damages sought.*
* Selected representations before joining Davis Polk.
Mr. Ramani has been widely recognized by legal industry publications, including:
- Chambers USA – Intellectual Property: Patent, since 2016
- Daily Journal – Top California IP Lawyers, since 2014
- IAM Patent 1000 – World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, since 2014
- Best Lawyers – Intellectual Property and Patent Litigation, since 2012
- Managing Intellectual Property – IP Star, since 2016
- Northern California Super Lawyers – IP Litigation, since 2009
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Member, N.D. Cal. Patent Instructions and Rules Attorney Advisory Committee
- Faculty, National Institute of Trial Advocacy’s Western Region trial-skills course
- Master, Edward J. McFetridge American Inn of Court
- Partner, Davis Polk since 2018
- Partner, Keker, Van Nest & Peters, 2006-2018
- Associate, Keker & Van Nest, 2003-2005
- Associate, Howard, Rice, Nemrovski, Canady, Falk & Rabkin, 2000-2002
- Associate, Latham & Watkins, 1998-1999
- Law Clerk, Hon. Henry H. Kennedy Jr., U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 1999-2000