Tatiana R. Martins
Handles white-collar defense and regulatory enforcement matters and conducts internal investigations. Former Chief of SDNY Public Corruption Unit.
Tatiana represents companies and individuals in white collar defense and regulatory enforcement matters and conducts internal investigations involving bribery, money laundering, financial frauds, criminal antitrust and workplace misconduct. She also advises companies and boards on governance and compliance.
An experienced trial lawyer, Tatiana has tried multiple cases to jury verdict. As an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the SDNY, she tried high-profile cases including that of former N.Y.S. Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver. As Chief of the SDNY Public Corruption Unit, she oversaw major cases against Michael D. Cohen, NCAA basketball coaches and high-level U.N. officials.
Tatiana is recognized by Chambers USA, where sources say she is “phenomenal” and “has excellent judgment.” Tatiana is a native Portuguese speaker, and is fluent in Spanish.
Tatiana is on the boards of the Office of the Appellate Defender and the Tinker Foundation and a member of the New York Council of Defense Lawyers.
- Secured rare dismissal of criminal indictment against individual client in a criminal price-fixing case
- Has represented large multinational corporations in connection with DOJ and SEC investigations of bribery-related allegations in Latin America, Europe and Asia, including Siemens AG and Grupo Aval
- Led an internal investigation at a multi-lateral development bank into allegations of misconduct by the president of the bank in connection with an inappropriate relationship with a bank employee
- Conducted numerous internal investigations in the areas of anti-corruption, financial frauds and money laundering, including in U.S., Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Mexico and Serbia
- Represented a large multinational corporation in connection with investigations by the World Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the African Development Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, and the United Nations
- Secured a declination from the DOJ’s Antitrust Division for a multi-national corporate client in a no-poach criminal antitrust investigation
- Assisted clients in evaluating and developing compliance policies, procedures, strategies and trainings to mitigate risk
Chambers USA – White Collar & Government Investigations, New York
Expert Guide – White Collar Crime, United States, 2021
Latinvex – “Latin America’s Top 100 Female Lawyers,” 2021 and 2022
Member of Law360’s 2023 Trials Editorial Advisory Board
- Editor, Yale Journal of Law & the Humanities
- summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2018-present
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Southern District of New York, 2012-2018
- Chief, Public Corruption Unit, 2017-2018
- Deputy Chief, Public Corruption Unit, 2016-2017
- Davis Polk, 2005-2009 and 2010-2012
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Colorado
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York