Richard D. Truesdell Jr.
Richard is co-head of our Capital Markets practice. In multiple years, he completed more U.S. IPOs than any other lawyer.
He is ranked as a “Star Individual” in capital markets by Chambers USA, where he was described by clients as “a superstar” and “simply the best capital markets lawyer in the world.” Law360 named him a "Capital Markets MVP of the Year" in both 2018 and 2020.
Richard represents clients in U.S. and international capital markets transactions and advises on corporate governance and securities market regulation. He has represented all of the major investment banks, including Citi, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley, as well as issuers in all economic sectors.
He has extensive experience with a wide variety of both public and private debt and equity offerings by U.S. and non-U.S. issuers, including initial public offerings, convertible offerings and high-yield debt financings.
- Completed more US IPOs than any other lawyer in multiple years. Recently completed IPOs include Ablynx, AC Immune, Applied Therapeutics, Aprea Therapeutics, Atea Pharmaceuticals, Biodesix, Biotie Therapeutics, Black Diamond Therapeutics, BRP Group, Calyxt, Centogene, Charah Solutions, ConforMIS, Constellation Pharmaceuticals, CureVac, DataDog, Deciphera, Editas Medicine, EndoChoice, Evolent Health, First Data, Focus Financial, Fogo de Chão, Freeline Therapeutics, Galapagos, Gatos Silver, Goosehead Insurance, Hamilton Lane, Immunocore, Kinsale Insurance, Legend Biotech, Mersana Therapeutics, Metropolitan Bank, Mission Produce, Novocure, ProSight, REGENXBIO, REV Group, Royalty Pharma, Spark Therapeutics, Spotify, Tamar Petroleum International, Transmedics, Trean Insurance, Watford Holdings, WideOpenWest and Zai Labs.
- Completed the first direct listing on the New York Stock Exchange (Spotify) and the first direct listing on Nasdaq (Watford Holdings).
- Completed the largest convertible offering in history ($6.9 billion offering of perpetual convertible stock by a major financial institution)
- Completed the largest high-yield offering in history at the time ($6 billion offering of high-yield notes by Freeport-McMoRan Copper and Gold)
- James Kent Scholar
- Executive Editor, Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems
- Partner, 1993-present
- Associate, 1986-1993