Richard D. Truesdell Jr.
Global chair of Capital Markets practice. In multiple years, completed more U.S. IPOs than any other lawyer. A Chambers USA “Star Individual” for capital markets.
Richard is the global chair of our Capital Markets practice. In multiple years, he completed more U.S. IPOs than any other lawyer.
He is ranked as a “Star Individual” in capital markets by Chambers USA, where he was described by clients as “a superstar” and “simply the best capital markets lawyer in the world.” Law360 named him a “Capital Markets MVP of the Year” in both 2018 and 2020.
Richard represents clients in U.S. and international capital markets transactions and advises on corporate governance and securities market regulation. He has represented all of the major investment banks, including Citi, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley, as well as issuers in all economic sectors.
He has extensive experience with a wide variety of both public and private debt and equity offerings by U.S. and non-U.S. issuers, including initial public offerings, convertible offerings and high-yield debt financings.
- Completed more US IPOs than any other lawyer in multiple years. Recently completed IPOs include Ablynx, AC Immune, ACV Auctions, Adagio Therapeutics, Applied Therapeutics, Aprea Therapeutics, ATAI Life Sciences, Atea Pharmaceuticals, Biodesix, Black Diamond Therapeutics, Calyxt, Centogene, Century Therapeutics, Charah Solutions, Constellation Pharmaceuticals, CureVac, DataDog, Deciphera, Editas Medicine, Evolent Health, Focus Financial, Freeline Therapeutics, FTAC Hera, Galapagos, Gatos Silver, Hamilton Lane, Hamilton Lane Alliance Holdings, Immunocore, Legend Biotech, Membership Collective Group, Mersana Therapeutics, Metropolitan Bank, Mission Produce, Prime Medicine, Privia Health, REV Group, Royalty Pharma, Spotify, Sprinklr, Tamar Petroleum International, Transmedics, TScan, TuSimple, Vaccitech, Watford Holdings, WideOpenWest and Zai Labs.
- Completed the first direct listing on the New York Stock Exchange (Spotify) and the first direct listing on Nasdaq (Watford Holdings).
- Completed the largest convertible offering in history ($6.9 billion offering of perpetual convertible stock by a major financial institution)
- Completed the largest high-yield offering in history at the time ($6 billion offering of high-yield notes by Freeport-McMoRan Copper and Gold)
Law360 – “Capital Markets MVP of the Year,” 2018, 2020
MergerLinks – “Top DeSPAC Lawyers in North America,” 2022
Chambers USA – New York Awards, “Outstanding Contribution Award,” 2019
Chambers USA – Capital Markets: Debt & Equity: Eastern United States, Star Individual
IFLR Americas Awards – “Outstanding Achievement Award,” 2019
IFLR1000 – Capital Markets (Debt, Equity, High yield), United States, Market Leader
Who’s Who Legal – Capital Markets: Debt and Equity, Global Leader
Legal 500 U.S. – Capital Markets (Debt Offerings, Equity Offerings and Global Offerings), Hall of Fame
BTI Consulting Group – “BTI Client Service All-Star,” 2019
- James Kent Scholar
- Executive Editor, Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems
- Partner, 1993-present
- Davis Polk since 1986
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York