Brian S. Lichter
Co-head of Real Estate practice. Represents owners, developers, funds, REITs and other financial institutions in a broad range of commercial real estate transactions.
Brian is co-head of our Real Estate practice. He represents property owners, developers, funds, real estate investment trusts (REITs) and other financial institutions in a broad range of commercial real estate transactions. He concentrates on the acquisition, disposition and development of office, retail, hotel and multifamily properties; joint ventures; commercial mortgage, mezzanine and construction financings; preferred equity investments; and debt restructurings.
Brian’s work is recognized by publications including Chambers USA and Law360.
He serves as a member of the boards of directors of Habitat for Humanity New York City and UJA-Federation of New York (UJA). Brian is also a member of UJA’s Real Estate Executive Committee, a member of the Real Estate Board of New York and an associate trustee of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.
- RXR and SL Green acquisition of a 48.7% controlling interest in One Worldwide Plaza, Manhattan from an affiliate of New York REIT
- Cadre and institutional partner’s acquisition of Harvest at Marmalade multifamily community in Salt Lake City
- Andra AP-fonden (AP2) and Bouwinvest in their acquisitions of interests in a JV managed by Tishman Speyer to develop the Spiral trophy office tower in Hudson Yards
- J.P. Morgan Investment Management on the sale of a 49.9% membership interest in 498 Seventh Avenue, Manhattan
- SL Green sale of commercial condominium units in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to an affiliate of Ethika Capital
- Cadre and Hudson Capital Properties sale of the 434-unit Hudson Ridge multifamily community in Atlanta
- Related Companies JV with Atria Real Property Investors to acquire, develop, redevelop, operate and manage luxury senior assisted living and related projects in major cities worldwide
- RXR JV for the acquisition of over 1,000 acres of vacant land in Apex, NC, the horizontal development of the infrastructure required to service the land, and the vertical development and sale of multifamily, single family housing and commercial assets
- Midwood Investment & Development JV for the development of 200-204 South 12th Street, Philadelphia
- Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group $1.5b construction financing for the development of the Shops & Restaurants at Hudson Yards
- RXR, SL Green and partners’ $1.7b mortgage, mezzanine debt and equity recapitalization of 5 Times Square
- Meadow Partners, PGIM and Tribeca Investment Group’s $150m financing of 295 Fifth Avenue
- Blackstone on (i) its mortgage financing and preferred equity investment in an affiliate of RXR in connection with the acquisition of a luxury apartment building in Blue Bell, PA and (ii) its $90.75m preferred equity investment in an affiliate of RXR in connection with the acquisition of six properties located in NJ and PA
- Citibank workout of a portfolio of mortgage loans made to affiliates of Ronald Perelman and, ultimately, a sale of the underlying promissory notes
- Acadia Realty Trust preferred investment in a JV with affiliates of Madison Capital and Meadow Partners to acquire a 49% interest in Liberty View Industrial Plaza, Brooklyn
- Mesa West Capital $155m mortgage financing of an office park in Warren, NJ
Law360 – “Real Estate MVP of the Year,” 2016
Law360 – “Rising Star: Real Estate,” 2012
Chambers USA – Real Estate: Mainly Dirt, New York
UJA-Federation of New York – Larry A. Silverstein REX Award, 2017
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2013-present
- Partner, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, 2011-2013
- Associate, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, 2002-2011
Qualifications and admissions
- State of California
- State of New York