Brian S. Lichter
Co-head of Real Estate practice. Represents owners, developers, funds, REITs and other financial institutions in a broad range of commercial real estate transactions.
Brian is co-head of our Real Estate practice. He represents property owners, developers, funds, real estate investment trusts (REITs) and other financial institutions in a broad range of commercial real estate transactions. He concentrates on the acquisition, disposition and development of office, retail, hotel and multifamily properties; joint ventures; commercial mortgage, mezzanine and construction financings; preferred equity investments; and debt restructurings.
Brian’s work is recognized by publications including Chambers USA and Law360.
He serves as a member of the boards of directors of Habitat for Humanity New York City and UJA-Federation of New York (UJA). Brian is also a member of UJA’s Real Estate Executive Committee, a member of the Real Estate Board of New York and an associate trustee of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.
- RXR and SL Green acquisition of a 48.7% controlling interest in One Worldwide Plaza, Manhattan from an affiliate of New York REIT
- RXR acquisition of a 49% controlling interest of the leasehold estate in 5 Times Square, Manhattan from David Werner and partners
- Andra AP-fonden (AP2) and Bouwinvest in their acquisitions of interests in a JV managed by Tishman Speyer to develop the Spiral trophy office tower in Hudson Yards
- J.P. Morgan Investment Management on the sale of a 49.9% membership interest in 498 Seventh Avenue, Manhattan
- SL Green sale of commercial condominium units in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to an affiliate of Ethika Capital
- Cadre sale of the 400-unit Avida Apartments in Murray, UT, and the Crestleigh Apartments in Laurel, MD
- Related Companies JV with Atria Real Property Investors to acquire, develop, redevelop, operate and manage luxury senior assisted living and related projects in major cities worldwide
- Meadow Partners JV with affiliates of Tribeca Investment Group and that venture’s entry into a JV with affiliates of PGIM to acquire a ground leasehold interest in 295 Fifth Avenue
- Midwood Investment & Development JV for the development of 200-204 South 12th Street, Philadelphia
- Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group $1.5b construction financing for the development of the Shops & Restaurants at Hudson Yards
- RXR, David Werner and partners’ $1.345b mortgage and mezzanine refinancing of 5 Times Square
- RXR $75m construction loan for mixed-use tower at 2413 Third Avenue, Bronx
- Blackstone on (i) its mortgage financing and preferred equity investment in an affiliate of RXR in connection with the acquisition of a luxury apartment building in Blue Bell, PA and (ii) its $90.75m preferred equity investment in an affiliate of RXR in connection with the acquisition of six properties located in NJ and PA
- Citibank workout of a portfolio of commercial real estate mortgage loans to an affiliate of the business enterprise of a high-net-worth individual and, ultimately, a sale of the underlying promissory notes
- Acadia Realty Trust preferred investment in a JV with affiliates of Madison Capital and Meadow Partners to acquire a 49% interest in Liberty View Industrial Plaza, Brooklyn
- Mesa West Capital $155m mortgage financing of an office park in Warren, NJ
Law360 – "Real Estate MVP of the Year," 2016
Law360 – “Rising Star: Real Estate,” 2012
Chambers USA – Real Estate: Mainly Dirt, New York
UJA-Federation of New York – Larry A. Silverstein REX Award, 2017
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2013-present
- Partner, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, 2011-2013
- Associate, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, 2002-2011
Qualifications and admissions
- State of California
- State of New York