Joseph A. Hall
Mr. Hall is a member of Davis Polk’s Corporate Department and head of the firm’s corporate governance practice. He works on the full range of capital markets transactions, and advises public companies and regulated entities on corporate governance and financial regulatory compliance. He is a frequent speaker on topics of corporate governance and SEC compliance.
Mr. Hall began his career at Davis Polk in 1989. Between 2003 and 2005 he served at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, ultimately as Managing Executive for Policy under Chairman William H. Donaldson. As a member of Chairman Donaldson’s senior management team, Mr. Hall assisted in directing the Commission’s policy-making and enforcement activities.
- IPOs for TCP International, Fidelity & Guaranty Life, Voya, EPAM Systems, Air Lease Corp., GAIN Capital Holdings, Tower International, Visa Inc.
- Follow-on offerings for Voya, Virtusa, US Ecology, IHS Inc., Continental Resources, International Coal Group, KKR Financial Holdings, Synovus Financial, Meritor, General Electric
- High-grade debt offerings for NYSE Euronext, Murphy Oil, Voya, KKR Financial Holdings, Rockwell Collins, Campbell Soup, GECC
- High-yield debt offerings for Murphy USA, Synovus Financial, International Coal Group, Tower International, Continental Resources, Meritor
- Convertible debt offerings for Cowen Group, Meritor, Air Lease Corp., Nuance Communications, Hawaiian Holdings, International Coal Group
- Closed-end fund IPOs for PIMCO Dynamic Income Fund, ING Emerging Markets High Dividend Equity Fund, Blackstone/GSO Long-Short Credit Income Fund, Eaton Vance Tax-Advantaged Bond and Option Strategies Fund, Blackstone/GSO Senior Floating Rate Term Fund
Mr. Hall is ranked as a leading capital markets lawyer in several legal industry publications, including:
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- The Legal 500 United States
- New York Super Lawyers
- Partner, Davis Polk, 1999-2003; 2005-present
- Managing Executive for Policy and Market Regulation Counsel for Chairman William H. Donaldson, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, 2003-2005
- Corporate Counsel, Reuters America Inc., 1994-1996
- Associate, Davis Polk, 1989-1994; 1996-1999
- Law Clerk, Hon. Phyllis A. Kravitch, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1988-1989
Articles and Books
Third Circuit Finds Noteholders Have Right to Payment of Make-Whole Premium After Bankruptcy Acceleration | The Banking Law Journal, Volume 134, Number 3, March 2017
SEC Proposes Long-Awaited Hedging Disclosure Rule: What Does It Mean and What Should You Do Now?
Corporate Law & Accountability Report, 13 CARE 10, 03/06/15, Bloomberg BNA | Corporate Law & Accountability Report, 13 CARE 10, 03/06/15, Bloomberg BNA
Corporate Governance Practices in IPOs | Corporate Governance Advisor, July/August 2014