Joseph A. Hall
Mr. Hall is a partner in Davis Polk’s Corporate Department and head of the firm’s corporate governance practice. His transactional practice includes advising companies and investment banks on initial public offerings, block trades and investment-grade, high-yield and convertible-debt offerings, as well as advising crypto-asset managers on fund formation and distribution. His advisory practice includes advice with respect to sensitive C-suite and board matters, corporate governance matters generally, public company reporting obligations, securities law compliance and the regulation of credit rating agencies. He is a frequent speaker and author on topics of corporate governance and capital markets practice.
Mr. Hall began his career at Davis Polk in 1989. Between 2003 and 2005 he served at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, ultimately as Managing Executive for Policy under Chairman William H. Donaldson, where he assisted in directing the Commission’s policy-making and enforcement activities.
Mr. Hall is recognized as a leading lawyer in several industry publications, including:
- Chambers Global – Capital Markets: Debt & Equity: USA
- Chambers USA – Capital Markets: Debt & Equity: Nationwide
- Chambers USA – FinTech: Legal
- IFLR1000 U.S. – Capital Markets: Debt & Equity
- Super Lawyers – Securities & Corporate Finance: New York
- Partner, Davis Polk, 1999-2003; 2005-present
- Managing Executive for Policy and Market Regulation Counsel for Chairman William H. Donaldson, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, 2003-2005
- Corporate Counsel, Reuters America Inc., 1994-1996
- Associate, Davis Polk, 1989-1994; 1996-1999
- Law Clerk, Hon. Phyllis A. Kravitch, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1988-1989
Articles and Books
Third Circuit Finds Noteholders Have Right to Payment of Make-Whole Premium After Bankruptcy Acceleration | The Banking Law Journal, Volume 134, Number 3, March 2017
SEC Proposes Long-Awaited Hedging Disclosure Rule: What Does It Mean and What Should You Do Now?
Corporate Law & Accountability Report, 13 CARE 10, 03/06/15, Bloomberg BNA | Corporate Law & Accountability Report, 13 CARE 10, 03/06/15, Bloomberg BNA
Corporate Governance Practices in IPOs | Corporate Governance Advisor, July/August 2014