Mr. Shelanski is a partner in Davis Polk’s Litigation Department in Washington DC. He is one of the nation’s leading authorities on antitrust and regulation, with high-level experience at the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, and in the Executive branch of government. He is also a Professor of Law at Georgetown University.
Mr. Shelanski served as Administrator of the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs from 2013 to 2017. Previously, he was Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Economics, where he supervised economic analysis and advised the Commission on economic policy matters. From 2009 to 2011, he served as the Bureau’s Deputy Director.
Before joining the FTC and the Georgetown Faculty, Mr. Shelanski was a Professor of Law at the University of California, Berkeley, where he co-directed the Berkeley Center for Law and Technology from 2000 to 2008.
He was Chief Economist of the Federal Communications Commission from 1999 to 2000, and a Senior Economist for the President’s Council of Economic Advisers at the White House from 1998 to 1999.
Mr. Shelanski served as a law clerk to Justice Antonin Scalia of the U.S. Supreme Court, Judge Louis H. Pollak of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and Judge Stephen F. Williams of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
District of Columbia
B.A., History, Haverford College, 1986
J.D., UC Berkeley School of Law, 1992
- Order of the Coif
Ph.D., Economics, UC Berkeley, 1993
- Partner, Davis Polk since 2017
- Professor of Law, Georgetown University since 2011
- Administrator, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, White House Office of Management and Budget, 2013-2017
- Director, Bureau of Economics, Federal Trade Commission, 2012-2013
- Counsel, Davis Polk, 2011-2012
- Deputy Director, Bureau of Economics, Federal Trade Commission, 2009-2011
- Professor of Law, University of California, Berkeley, 1997-2009
- Chief Economist, Federal Communications Commission, 1999-2000
- Senior Economist, White House Council of Economic Advisers, 1998-1999
- Law Clerk, Hon. Antonin Scalia, U.S. Supreme Court, 1994-1995
- Law Clerk, Hon. Louis H. Pollak, U.S. District Court, E.D. Pennsylvania, 1993-1994
- Law Clerk, Hon. Stephen F. Williams, U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit, 1992-1993