Mr. Lisson is a partner in Davis Polk’s Litigation Department, practicing in Northern California. He is an experienced litigator who focuses on intellectual property litigation and complex commercial matters. He represents both established and emerging technology companies in their highest stakes IP disputes, and has worked across a variety of sectors, including telecommunications, networking, medical devices, and search engine and database applications.
Mr. Lisson has tried cases in federal courts nationwide and before the International Trade Commission. He has secured jury verdicts and substantial settlements on behalf of his plaintiff clients, and has won pre- and post-trial judgments on behalf of his defendant clients. In addition to his trial practice, Mr. Lisson handles post-trial and appellate proceedings, and works closely with his clients’ leadership teams to resolve business critical IP matters outside of the courtroom.
Mr. Lisson has been recognized by IAM Patent 1000 in which peers noted that Mr. Lisson is “simply amazing at plotting trial strategy from beginning to end. In the biggest litigations, his command of so many facts and issues is unrivalled.” Mr. Lisson was also named a Super Lawyer “Rising Star” in Intellectual Property Litigation/General Litigation each year from 2012-2017. He currently serves on the Board of Directors of Open Door Legal in San Francisco.
- Comcast Corporation in patent litigations against Rovi Corporation (now part of TiVo) pending in multiple federal district courts, the International Trade Commission and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, in which Rovi has to date asserted 37 patents in its efforts to secure a renewal of Comcast’s portfolio license
- Comcast Corp. in patent infringement lawsuits against Sprint Communications, encompassing over 30 patents asserted in federal courts across the country including:
- Obtained a jury verdict finding that Sprint infringed three Comcast patents in the District of Delaware, which the Federal Circuit affirmed
- Secured a complete victory in the District of Delaware through summary judgment as to certain Sprint patents and judgment as a matter of law as to others, which the Federal Circuit summarily affirmed
- Resolved dispute in the District of Kansas, in which Sprint sought close to $1 billion in damages
- Transcend Medical, Inc. in a patent case against its sole competitor in the field of Micro-Invasive Glaucoma Surgery, in which Transcend obtained summary judgment of non-infringement on all asserted claims and invalidity as to eight of the asserted claims on indefiniteness grounds
- VNUS Medical Technologies in patent infringement litigation in connection with minimally invasive surgical procedures to treat venous reflux disease in which VNUS secured a $45 million jury verdict in its favor
- Yahoo! Inc. in patent suit brought by Xerox Corp. concerning targeted search methodologies in which Yahoo! obtained a very favorable pre-trial settlement
- Prominent international law firm in high-profile malpractice action in California state court
- Playtex Products in a false advertising case against Procter & Gamble in connection with a new line of Procter & Gamble products
- IAM Patent 1000 - World Leading Patent Practitioner
- “Rising Star” in Intellectual Property Litigation/General Litigation – Northern California Super Lawyers 2012-2017
- Member, Board of Directors, Open Door Legal, 2018-present
- Partner, 2017-present
- Counsel, 2014-2017
- Associate, 2007-2014
- Law Clerk, Hon. Ian Binnie, Supreme Court of Canada, 2005-2006