Michael S. Hong
Advises private fund managers in complex, high-value fund formation matters. Extensive experience on first-time fundraises, co-investments and secondary transactions.
Michael assists his clients on all manner of fund formation and investor relations, M&A (with deep experience in co-investments) and regulatory matters. His clients include private equity, growth capital, credit, hedge, energy, real estate, co-investment and fund of funds managers.
Michael also has extensive experience with GP-led and other secondary transactions. He also advises clients in connection with GP-stake sales and purchases, spin-outs and joint ventures. Michael also represents senior executives of fund managers in employment and separation matters.
His clients include Harvest Partners, Trilantic Capital, Lightyear Capital, TruArc Partners (successor to Snow Phipps), Tailwind Capital, Antares Capital, GHK Capital, Godspeed Capital, Cornell Capital, and Cowen. Michael also represents Glendower Capital in secondary transactions.
Michael is the chair of New York City Bar's Private Investment Funds Committee.
- Harvest Partners on raising over $5 billion, including in the formation of:
- Harvest Partners VIII, a $4.03 billion private equity fund
- Harvest Partners Structured Capital Fund II, $900 million growth equity fund
- Trilantic Capital Management on raising over $3 billion, including in the formation of:
- Trilantic Capital Partners VI, a $2.75 billion private equity fund
- Trilantic Energy Partners II, a $437 million energy fund
- Trilantic Capital Management on the formation of co-investment vehicles in connection with the following transactions:
- acquisition of a majority stake in Taymax Group Holdings
- acquisition by DJR Energy of Encana Corporation’s San Juan Basin assets
- acquisition of a majority stake in Sunbelt Transformer
- Cowen Investment Management on the formation of and the sale of interests in Cowen Sustainable Investments I, a $919 million ESG fund
- Cowen Investment Management on the formation of co-investment vehicles in connection with the following transactions:
- investment in ecoATM
- investment in ProTerra
- GHK Capital Partners on the acquisition of Hasa and related financing
- Godspeed Capital on their strategic partnership with East Rock Capital
- Tailwind Capital on the formation of co-investment vehicles in connection with the following transactions:
- investment in Ventiv Technology
- investment in Smith-Cooper International
- acquisition of Trench Plate Rental Co.
- Cornell Capital on the formation of co-investment vehicles in connection with the following transactions:
- Spectrum Automotive Holdings’ add-on acquisition of CalTex Protective Coatings
- minority investment in CitizensRx Holdings
Chambers USA – Investment Funds: Private Equity – Fund Formation
Legal 500 U.S. – Investment Funds: Private Equity Funds
IFLR1000 – Private Equity and Private Equity Funds, Highly Regarded
Who’s Who Legal – Private Funds: Formation
Private Funds Management – “30 Most Influential Private Equity Lawyers Under the Age of 40,” 2015
- Gerald W. Schwartz Gold Medal
- with high distinction
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2018-present
- Partner, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, 2013-2018
- Associate, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, 2004-2013
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York