Manuel is head of our Latin America practice and has worked on many of the most significant capital markets, cross-border M&A and project finance transactions and debt restructurings in Latin America.
Latin Lawyer selected Manuel as its 2021 “International Lawyer of the Year.” Chambers Latin America ranks him in Band 1 for capital markets in the region and quotes a source describing him as “one of the best lawyers for cross-border capital markets work involving Brazil.”
Manuel’s capital markets practice includes high-yield debt offerings, IPOs and exchange offers. He has worked on more than 300 debt and equity financings involving Latin American issuers. In M&A, he advises both acquirers and target companies. Clients also look to Manuel for advice on structured and project financings, liability management and debt restructurings.
Manuel’s clients have included Banco Credito del Peru, Cosan, Credit Suisse, Morgan Stanley, Natura, Patria, Santander, Vinci Partners and XP.
- Santander Brasil on its $7.6 billion IPO, OGX Petróleo e Gás on its $4.1 billion IPO, XP on its $2.3 billion IPO and the underwriters on the $5.7 billion IPO by BB Seguridade, $3.4 billion IPO by BM&F and $2.7 billion IPO by PagSeguro (among the largest IPOs in Latin America)
- Odebrecht Oil & Gas on its $1.7 billion project bond (largest project bond offering by Latin American corporate issuer) and its $5 billion debt restructuring
- Brazilian government on $19 billion privatization of Telebrás (largest privatization in Latin America), including initial SEC registration of 12 new spinoff telecommunications carriers
- MMX Mineração on its break up into three different companies and subsequent sale of one of them to Anglo American for $5.6 billion
- Cosan on its $12 billion joint venture with Shell
- Lenders on $4 billion project financing of Hamaca, a heavy crude oil project in Venezuela
- Managing Editor, Harvard Law Review
- summa cum laude
- Partner, 2005-present
- Associate, 1998-2005