Louis L. Goldberg
Co-head of Mergers & Acquisitions. Advises companies around the globe on their most significant public and private M&A transactions and board-level matters.
Louis is co-head of our Mergers & Acquisitions group. He advises companies around the globe on their most significant public and private M&A transactions and board-level matters. His practice also encompasses a full spectrum of corporate, strategic, defensive and crisis assignments.
In 2021, Louis was named among the lawyers advising on the largest deals in the United States by Business Insider.
His clients include Alliance Data, Amdocs, Citigroup, Delta Airlines, ExxonMobil, Heineken, IHS Markit, International Flavors and Fragrances, Morgan Stanley, Ocado, Pandora, Spirit Air, Syngenta, VATiT and Williams.
Examples of Public Company Mergers & Acquisitions
- IHS Markit on its pending $44 billion merger with S&P Global
- Williams on its $10.5 billion acquisition of all of the outstanding public common units of Williams Partners L.P.
- Syngenta in its $43 billion acquisition by ChemChina in the largest transaction by a Chinese company outside China
- Exxon in its acquisitions of Mobil and XTO Energy
- Dean Foods on its sale out of bankruptcy
- Markit on its $13 billion merger of equals with IHS
- Sale of Pharmerica to a consortium of KKR and Walgreens
- CVS in its contested acquisitions of Caremark and Longs Drugs
- J.P. Morgan in its merger with Chase Manhattan Bank
Examples of Defense, Activist, Crisis and Governance Roles
- ExxonMobil in its defense against a 2021 activist campaign
- IFF in its defense against an activist campaign by Sachem Head
- GeoPark in its defense against an activist campaign by Gerald O'Shaughnessy
- Amdocs in its defense against a short-selling campaign by Spruce Capital
- Syngenta in its successful defense against an unsolicited bid by Monsanto
- Governance clients include ExxonMobil, Williams Companies, IHS Markit, Alliance Data
- Citigroup in a series of financial crisis era transactions, including its $306 billion loss protection guarantee program with the U.S. government and $52 billion capital realignment and its exit from its TARP U.S. government financial assistance
- The U.S. national residential mortgage registration system (MERS) in its restructuring under consent decree imposed by the U.S. financial regulators
- Conflict special committee transactions, including Apollo transactions with EP Energy and a confidential transaction in the energy sector
Examples of Private Mergers & Acquisitions
- State Street in its $3.5 billion acquisition of Brown Brothers Harriman Investor Services
- Delta Airlines in a carve-out of its SkyMiles business in connection with a financing by the SkyMiles business
- Spirit Air in a carve-out of its loyalty business in connection with a financing transaction
- Williams Companies in its buyout of Caiman Energy II and its $1.125 billion combined sale of assets and equity comprising Williams Partners L.P.’s Four Corners Area business to Harvest Midstream Company
- Ocado PLC in its acquisition of US robotics companies Kindred and Haddington
- Orogen in its investments in Virtua, EXL, Fair Square Financial and Westcor Title Insurance
Chambers Global – Corporate M&A (International and Cross-Border), USA
Chambers USA – Corporate/M&A, New York
IFLR1000 – M&A, United States, Highly regarded
- first-class honours
- magna cum laude
- Partner, 1997-present
- Associate, 1989-1997
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York