Kara L. Mungovan
Advises clients on the tax aspects of complex mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions and bank financings, both in the United States and globally.
Kara advises clients on the tax aspects of complex mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions and bank financings, both in the United States and internationally. Her work spans industries including consumer products and retail, energy, financial services, healthcare, and tech, media and telecom.
Kara’s work is recognized by Chambers USA and Legal 500. Sources quoted by Chambers say she is “really hard-working and very smart” and “an excellent lawyer.” She was recognized as one of “Five Fresh Faces to Know in Tax” by Bloomberg Law in 2021.
She is a member of the Executive Committee of the New York State Bar Association Tax Section and a member of the New York Tax Forum.
Kara’s representations before joining Davis Polk include the following:
- Deutsche Telekom (DT) in its Master Framework Agreement with SoftBank and T‑Mobile realigning the ownership and governance of T‑Mobile, pursuant to which DT consented to SoftBank’s sale of approximately 198 million T‑Mobile shares in the capital markets for approximately $20 billion and DT received call options on approximately 101 million additional T‑Mobile shares held by SoftBank, and the pending $4.894 billion two‑part transaction in which DT will increase its ownership stake in T‑Mobile US
- Swvl in its pending $1.5 billion SPAC combination with Queen’s Gambit, including a $100 million PIPE investment
- Deutsche Börse in its $2.275 billion acquisition of ISS and in its $850 million acquisition of Axioma, which was combined with Deutsche Börse’s index businesses valued at €2.6 billion, and related partnership with General Atlantic
- World Fuel Services in the $350 million sale of its Multi Service payment solutions business to Corsair Capital
- Centrica in its $3.625 billion sale of its North American energy supply, services and trading business (Direct Energy) to NRG Energy
- Bharti in the acquisition of, and $1 billion investment in, OneWeb by a consortium led by Bharti and Her Majesty’s Government
- Univision in its sale of a majority stake to Searchlight Capital and ForgeLight
- US Foods in its $500 million convertible preferred equity investment from KKR, its $970 million acquisition of Smart Foodservice and its $1.8 billion acquisition of SGA Food Group
- Sobi in its $915 million acquisition of Dova
- Peabody Energy in its proposed joint venture with Arch Resources
- Mylan in its $9.9 billion acquisition of Meda; its $750 million acquisition, through its Indian subsidiary Mylan Laboratories Limited, of certain female healthcare businesses from Famy Care; and its $5.6 billion inversion acquisition of Abbott’s non‑U.S. developed markets specialty and branded generics business
- GKN in the £8.1 billion unsolicited offer from Melrose and the proposed $6.1 billion combination of its Driveline business and Dana
- Altra in its $3 billion combination with four operating companies from Fortive’s Automation and Specialty platform
- AXA in its $15.3 billion acquisition of XL Group
- Linde in its $70 billion merger of equals with Praxair
Chambers USA – Tax, New York
Legal 500 U.S. – International Tax, United States, Next Generation Partner
Bloomberg Law – “Five Fresh Faces to Know in Tax,” 2021
Law360 – “Rising Star: Tax,” 2018
Euromoney LMG Americas Women in Business Law Awards – “Rising Star: Tax,” 2018
- magna cum laude
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2021-present
- Partner, Cravath, Swaine & Moore, 2017-2021
- Associate, Cravath, Swaine & Moore, 2008-2016
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York