James P. Dougherty
Advises on a range of transactional matters, including mergers, takeover defense, leveraged buyouts, proxy contests, shareholder activism and corporate governance.
James advises clients on a wide range of transactional matters, including industry-changing combinations, takeover defense, leveraged buyouts, proxy contests, shareholder activism and corporate governance.
Representing acquirers, sellers and special committees, he has worked on many high-profile M&A transactions. He also has significant experience with corporate carve-outs, going-private deals and spin-off transactions.
In addition, James advises boards of directors and management in connection with activism campaigns, proxy fights and other shareholder engagement matters. He has helped clients respond to situations involving many of the most prominent activist investors.
- Cleveland-Cliffs in its pending $8 billion unsolicited proposal to acquire US Steel
- Summit Materials in its $3.2 billion pending acquisition of Argos USA
- Evergreen Hill Enterprise, Pte. Ltd. in its pending $630 million acquisition of Mativ’s engineered papers business
- HNI Corporation in its $485 million acquisition of Kimball International
Prior to joining Davis Polk, James’s experience includes advising:
- Evoqua Water Technologies in its $7.5 billion sale to Xylem Inc.
- Marathon Petroleum in its $23 billion acquisition of Andeavor
- Goodrich in its $18.4 billion sale to United Technologies
- USG in its $7 billion sale to Knauf
- Parker Hannifin in its $4.3 billion acquisition of Clarcor
- Lubrizol in its $9.7 billion acquisition by Berkshire Hathaway
- Cintas in its $2.2 billion acquisition of G&K Services
- Exelis in its $4.8 billion acquisition by L3 Harris
- Duchossois Group in its sale of Chamberlain Group to private equity funds managed by Blackstone
- STERIS in its $3.6 billion acquisition of Cantel Medical
- Vertex Aerospace, a portfolio company of American Industrial Partners, in its stock-for-stock merger with Vectrus
- Cooper Tire & Rubber in its $2.5 billion sale to Goodyear Tire & Rubber
- Avient in its $1.5 billion acquisition of Koninklijke DSM’s protective materials business
Chambers USA – Corporate/M&A, New York
IFLR1000 – M&A, United States
Law360 – Rising Star, M&A, 2013
BTI Consulting Group – Client Service All-Star, 2015 and 2016
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2023-present
- Partner, Jones Day, 2008-2023
- Associate, Jones Day, 2004-2008
- Associate, Cravath, 1998-2004
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York
- State of Ohio