David H. Schnabel
David is the head of our Tax practice. He advises clients on a full range of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, spinoffs, financings, PIPEs, joint ventures and inversions. Clients also look to David for guidance on tax issues, strategy and the impact of potential tax-law changes.
He has deep experience with partnership and other flow-through investments, as well as with fund formation and related issues.
David is ranked in Band 1 by Chambers USA, and Legal 500 U.S. includes him in its Hall of Fame for non-contentious tax work.
He is a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel and a former chair of the Tax Section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Charles Schwab Corporation on its $26 billion all-stock acquisition of TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation
- Technip on its $17 billion combination with FMC Technologies
- HRG Group Inc. on its $10 billion combination with Spectrum Brands Holdings and approximately $1.84 billion sale of Fidelity & Guaranty Life
- The Special Committee of Independent Directors of Fortress Investment Group LLC on the approximately $3.3 billion acquisition of Fortress by SoftBank Group Corp.
- Ferrero on its $2.8 billion acquisition of Nestlé’s U.S. confectionary business and its acquisition of Fannie May Confections from 1-800-FLOWERS.COM
- Learfield Communications and Atairos Group on Learfield’s merger with IMG College, LLC
- McKesson Corporation on its creation of a new healthcare information technology company
- Comcast Corporation on its acquisition of Icontrol Networks, Inc.
- Hargray Communications Group, Inc. on its acquisition by The Pritzker Organization, L.L.C.
- Solvay SA on its acquisition of the remaining 50% interest in Primester, a joint venture partnership between Solvay and Eastman Chemical Company
- Atairos Group, Inc. in its investment in Bowlmor AMF and acquisition of Learfield Communications, Inc.
- ADP on its acquisition of The Marcus Buckingham Company
- The agent and a steering committee of lenders in connection with Alpha Natural Resources’ chapter 11 cases
Before joining Davis Polk, David's representations included:
- Amazon.com in its acquisition of Elemental Technologies, pioneers in software-defined video solutions for multiscreen content delivery
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in the:
- $910 million acquisition of Healogics, the largest advanced wound care services provider in the United States
- $1.8 billion acquisition of Ashland Water Technologies
- Acquisitions of Brand Energy and Harsco Infrastructure in a combined transaction valued at $2.5 billion
- $1.5 billion acquisition of a majority ownership stake in WilsonArt International Holdings, the decorative surfaces unit of Illinois Tool Works
- $3.2 billion acquisition of Emergency Medical Services Corporation
- 46% investment in JohnsonDiversey, a transaction valued at $2.6 billion
- Acquisition of PharMEDium, a provider of sterile compounding services to hospital pharmacies
- $5.5 billion going-private acquisition of ServiceMaster
- Fergus Fellow
- cum laude
- cum laude
- with highest honors
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2015-present
- Partner, Debevoise, 2000-2015
- Associate, Debevoise, 1994-2000