Darren S. Klein
Advises on a wide range of corporate restructurings and bankruptcies, both in and out of court.
Darren has substantial experience on a wide range of corporate restructurings and bankruptcies, representing debtors, creditors and other strategic parties in bankruptcies, out-of-court workouts, financings, litigation and section 363 sales. He is recognized for his work in the restructuring field by industry publications including Chambers USA, IFLR1000 and Legal 500 U.S.
Darren is a member of the New York Society of Security Analysts and the American Bankruptcy Institute. He is a CFA charterholder.
- Debtor representations include Purdue Pharma, Southcross Energy, EdgeMarc Energy, Patriot Coal, Pinnacle Airlines, James River, Mongolian Mining, Elpida Memory, Frontier Airlines and Delta Air Lines.
- Creditor and ad hoc group representations include Ruby Pipeline, Chesapeake Energy, EPIC Y-Grade, First Energy Solutions, Fieldwood Energy, Nine West, Basic Energy, Venoco, Hornbeck Offshore, American Commercial Lines, Republic Airways, RadioShack, Puerto Rico Government Development Bank, Schahin and Xinergy.
- Senior lender or agent representations (including pre-petition, DIP and exit facilities) for institutions such as JPMorgan Chase, Citibank, Goldman Sachs and White Oak for cases including Brazos, Hertz, Basic Energy, Tilden Marcellus, Rockdale Marcellus, Peabody Coal, Ligado, Larchmont Resources, Empire Generating, Full Beauty, Caesars, Washington Drama, UCI, Verso, C-BASS, Sandridge, City of Detroit, Cengage Learning, Exide, School Specialty, NewPage, Tribune and LyondellBassel.
- Sellers or acquirers or potential acquirers in section 363 or plan sales in Tilden Marcellus, EdgeMarc Energy, Rex Energy and Big Sandy.
- Counsel to the joint administrators and liquidators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) and its U.K. Lehman affiliates, including in connection with tens of billions of dollars of claims against Lehman’s U.S. entities.
- Counsel to Volkswagen in various auto supplier restructurings, including the global insolvency proceedings of Takata.
Chambers USA – Bankruptcy/Restructuring, New York
IFLR1000 – Restructuring and Insolvency, United States, Highly Regarded
Legal 500 U.S. – Restructuring (including Bankruptcy): Corporate, Next Generation Partner
- Business Editor, Harvard Negotiation Law Review
- Partner, 2016-present
- Davis Polk since 2007
- NERA, 2000-2004
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York