Brian M. Resnick
Nationally recognized adviser on corporate restructuring and bankruptcy matters. Named an American Lawyer “Dealmaker of the Year” and Law360 “Bankruptcy MVP.”
Brian is a partner in our Restructuring group and head of our interdisciplinary Liability Management & Special Opportunities practice.
He was named one of Law360’s six Bankruptcy MVPs in 2020, one of Turnarounds & Workouts’ 2022 “Outstanding Restructuring Lawyers” and an American Lawyer 2020 “Dealmaker of the Year,” as well as being featured as one of three “industry titans” at the 2022 TMA annual conference.
He is a thought leader who regularly lectures and writes on bankruptcy topics, including co-authoring the book Credit-Bidding in Bankruptcy Sales. He is a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy and on the boards of Her Justice, WhyHunger and the Columbia Business Law Review.
An active supporter of the arts, Brian won a 2019 Tony Award as co-producer of Broadway’s Hadestown (chronicled by Bloomberg Law and The Deal). In 2021, nonprofit WhyHunger presented him with the Harry Chapin Humanitarian Award for the fundraising video Drum Together.
- Company-side chapter 11 and out-of-court restructuring and liability management representations include Dean Foods, K&N Engineering, Instant Brands, Save A Lot, Bonanza Creek Energy, Arch Coal, Patriot Coal, James River Coal and Delta Air Lines.
- Ad hoc group of creditor representations include Commonwealth of Puerto Rico bondholder group, Cineworld, Monitronics, ATI Physical Therapy, Alto Maipo, Blackhawk Mining, Jones Energy, Midstates Petroleum, Memorial Production Partners, Legacy Reserves and Vanguard Natural Resources.
- Senior lender or agent representations (including pre-petition, DIP and exit facilities) for institutions such as JPMorgan Chase, Citibank and Credit Suisse, for cases including Envision Healthcare, Endo Pharmaceuticals, Avaya, Phoenix Services, Prospect Medical, Windstream, Briggs & Stratton, Ditech, Catalina Marketing, Outcome Health, Foxwoods, Eastman Kodak and Delphi.
- Acquirers in Section 363 or Plan sales in Paper Source (purchaser Elliott Investment Management), Alpha Latam (stalking horse bidder Cerberus), Garrett Motion (stalking horse bidder KPS Capital Partners), Arena Energy (purchaser San Juan Offshore) and GPX Tires (purchaser Warburg Pincus and Alliance Tire Group).
- Virgin Group as majority shareholder and DIP lender in the Virgin Orbit bankruptcy case.
- Independent director representations include EP Energy, Synergy Pharmaceutical and MF Global.
- Counsel to the Ad Hoc Group of Bondholders of Puerto Rico’s Government Development Bank in devising the first-ever restructuring of a Puerto Rico entity under PROMESA.
- Counsel to the joint administrators and liquidators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) and its U.K. Lehman affiliates, including in connection with tens of billions of dollars of claims against Lehman’s U.S. entities.
- Counsel to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York with respect to more than $150 billion in financings for American International Group (AIG).
American Lawyer – “Dealmaker of the Year,” 2020
Law360 – “Bankruptcy MVP of the Year,” 2020; “Rising Star: Bankruptcy,” 2013
Chambers USA – Bankruptcy/Restructuring
IFLR1000 – Restructuring and Insolvency, United States, Highly Regarded
Legal 500 U.S. – Restructuring (Including Bankruptcy): Corporate, Next Generation Partner
The Deal – “Top Bankruptcy Lawyer,” 2017
Turnarounds & Workouts – “Outstanding Restructuring Lawyer,” 2016, 2022; “Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyer,” 2012
Lawdragon – 500 Leading Bankruptcy & Restructuring Lawyers, 2023
Super Lawyers – “Outstanding Bankruptcy Lawyer”
WhyHunger – Harry Chapin Humanitarian Award, 2021
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Member, Columbia Business Law Review
- Partner, 2011-present
- Davis Polk since 2003
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York