Head of IP Litigation practice. Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. Focuses on patent and trade-secret litigation and investigations.
Ashok heads our IP Litigation practice. A Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, he focuses his practice on patent and trade-secret litigation and investigations. Leading publications including Chambers USA and the Daily Journal have repeatedly recognized him as among the country’s best IP trial lawyers.
Ashok has tried 19 cases, including 14 jury trials and 12 as lead counsel. He has represented leading technology and healthcare companies such as Comcast, Google, MediaTek, Netflix, Pfizer, Signify Health and TSMC.
For his plaintiff clients, he has secured multiple nine-figure settlements and obtained a permanent injunction after winning a jury trial. For his defendant clients, he has won a finding of no violation on all patents before the ITC and a walk-away settlement during a trade-secret jury trial.
Ashok is co-chair of our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee. He serves on the Northern District’s Patent Local Rules Attorney Advisory Committee.
- Served as lead trial counsel for Comcast in patent litigations against Rovi (now part of Xperi) in multiple federal district courts, the ITC, the Federal Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court in which Rovi asserted 37 patents over four-plus years.
- Lead trial counsel for plaintiff Magnolia Medical Technologies in patent litigation brought in the District of Delaware against Kurin, Magnolia’s sole competitor in the field of Initial Specimen Diversion Devices.
- Defending Signify Health against trade-secret misappropriation and other claims by CareCentrix in Delaware federal court, including defending against a preliminary injunction.
- Defended TSMC against ITC investigation initiated by Innovative Foundry Technologies on five semiconductor foundry patents.
- Prepared ITC complaint for large multinational client accusing competitor of infringing four patents. Received OUII approval for filing shortly before parties entered into a cross license.
- Have advised several clients, from technology multinationals to biopharma startups, as to alleged trade-secret misappropriation by newly hired executives and have overseen related internal investigations.
- As lead trial counsel, secured a permanent injunction and $2.8 million jury verdict for TEK Global in a dispute with competitor Sealant Systems International.*
- As lead trial counsel, successfully defended Netflix and Roku at trial against Rovi in the ITC and in follow-on district-court litigation that resulted in all asserted Rovi patents being found invalid.*
- Represented TSMC against China’s then-leading semiconductor manufacturer, SMIC, in the largest trade-secret case tried to that time, securing a jury verdict on liability for TSMC that prompted a very favorable settlement.*
- Achieved favorable progress for a biopharmaceutical company in a fiduciary-duty and trade-secret litigation that contributed to another biotechnology company acquiring the client for $365 million mid-trial.*
- Sought for client Genentech a declaration of non-infringement and invalidity of a University of Pennsylvania patent that purported to cover a specific breast cancer therapy. After a very successful pretrial conference, negotiated a settlement at a small fraction of damages sought.*
* Selected representations before joining Davis Polk
Chambers USA – Intellectual Property: Patent, California
Daily Journal – “Top Intellectual Property Lawyers in California,” since 2014
IAM Patent 1000 - United States-California, Gold Band
Best Lawyers – Intellectual Property and Patent Litigation
- cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- with high honors
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2018-present
- Partner, Keker, Van Nest & Peters, 2006-2018
- Associate, Keker & Van Nest, 2003-2005
- Associate, Howard, Rice, Nemrovski, Canady, Falk & Rabkin, 2000-2002
- Associate, Latham & Watkins, 1998-1999
Qualifications and admissions
- State of California
- U.S. District Court, C.D. California
- U.S. District Court, Colorado