Nora M. Jordan
Ms. Jordan has headed Davis Polk’s Investment Management Group for over 20 years. Her practice has focused on advising hedge funds, mutual funds, private equity funds and the managers and directors who oversee them.
Ms. Jordan has worked on numerous internal and SEC investigations involving asset managers and acquisitions, reorganizations and restructurings of asset managers.
In addition to heading Davis Polk’s Investment Management Group, Ms. Jordan has served on numerous firm committees including the Compensation and Recruiting Committees.
- Regular outside counsel for some of the largest hedge fund managers and registered funds in the world (e.g. Two Sigma, SPDR S&P)
- Regular counsel to a number of Boards of Directors of registered funds (e.g. UBS and CPG registered funds)
- Special counsel to public company boards and fund boards in connection with whistleblower and other issues (confidential)
- Special counsel in 2020 to a board of directors overseeing a $250 billion fund complex in connection with a board governance review (reviewed conflicts, board compensation, on-boarding of director process, diversity issues, oversight of management etc.)
- Counsel to companies and boards in connection with M&A involving asset managers (e.g. Morgan Stanley in its investments in various hedge fund managers (Avenue Capital Group, Lansdowne Partners, FrontPoint Partners), as well as its merger with Dean Witter)
Ms. Jordan is head of the Investment Management Group, which was named “Investment Funds Client Service Team of the Year” at the 2015 Chambers USA Awards.
She is consistently recognized for her work in the legal industry:
- Euromoney LMG Americas Women in Business Law – Best in Investment Funds Award, 2018
- New York Business Journal – “Women of Influence,” 2018
- The Irish Voice – One of the "Irish Legal 100," 2016
- Lawdragon – One of the "500 Leading Lawyers in America," 2017 - 2019
- Shortlisted in 2014 for Euromoney LMG Americas Women in Business Law Awards
- Shortlisted in 2013 for Euromoney Americas Women in Business Law Awards
- Hedge Fund Journal – One of the “50 Leading Women in Hedge Funds," 2013
- American Lawyer – One of “45 under 45” Rising Stars of the Corporate Bar, 2003
Ms. Jordan is listed as a leading fund lawyer in various industry publications, including:
- Chambers Global
- Chambers USA
- The Legal 500 U.S.
- Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Private Equity Lawyers
- Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law
She was on the cover of The American Lawyer (June 2003 edition) and in a feature article entitled, "Women in the Law: Blooms in the Desert, Why Some Firms Get It, While Others Still Don't".
- Speaker, panelist and author on a variety of investment management topics (e.g., hedge fund, investment adviser, international and Investment Company Act issues)
- Ms. Jordan spoke at the SEC Fixed Income Market Structure Advisory Committee’s public meetings on February 10, 2020 and June 1, 2020.
- Vice-Chair, Board of Directors, The American Skin Association
- Member, Extraordinary Women on Boards
- Advisory Board, Global Financial Markets Center, Duke Law School
- Member, Board of Visitors, Duke Law School
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Co-Author, Advising Private Funds: A Comprehensive Guide to Representing Hedge Funds, Private Equity Funds and Their Advisers, West
Co-Author, "SEC Marketing Rule Changes Increase Flexibility for Advisers," – Law360
- Co-Author, "The Appointment of Delegates Under the AIFMD, Key considerations and practical implications," –The Hedge Fund Journal
- Author, "Trends in Prime Brokerage," Practical Law – The Journal
- Author, "New Case Law on Suspension of Hedge Fund Redemptions," Financier Worldwide
- The Latest SEC Proposed Derivatives Rules and How They Can Impact Your Business: presented with MSCI
- Practice Group Coordinator, Investment Management Group, 2003-present
- Partner, 1995-present
- Associate, 1983-1995