Nora M. Jordan
As head of Davis Polk’s Investment Management Group, Ms. Jordan advises clients on collective investment vehicles, including hedge funds, mutual funds, closed-end funds and private equity funds. She acts as counsel to the adviser, the fund or the independent directors, depending on the client. Many of her matters involve advising clients concerning compliance with the Investment Company Act and Investment Advisers Act.
Ms. Jordan frequently provides advice to financial institutions that have affiliated asset managers and broker-dealers. Principal and agency transactions between asset manager clients and broker-dealers are highly regulated, and she provides advice on these regulations as well as other issues affecting advisers, private funds and mutual funds.
- SPDR S&P and other ETF Trusts sponsored by NYSE Euronext
- Compliance and regulatory advice to some of the largest hedge funds in the United States, including Bridgewater, Lone Pine, Perella and Avenue Capital
- The boards of directors of a complex of registered funds (almost $2 billion) that invest in hedge funds
- Major financial institution in connection with an SEC-required review of trading between its advisory subsidiaries and its broker-dealer subsidiaries
- Morgan Stanley in its sale of its retail investment management business
- Citi in the creation of a joint venture with Morgan Stanley, Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
- Morgan Stanley in its investments in various hedge fund managers (Avenue Capital Group, Lansdowne Partners, FrontPoint Partners), as well as its merger with Dean Witter
Ms. Jordan is head of the Investment Management Group, which was named “Investment Funds Client Service Team of the Year” at the 2015 Chambers USA Awards.
She is consistently recognized for her work in the legal industry:
- Euromoney LMG Americas Women in Business Law – Best in Investment Funds Award, 2018
- New York Business Journal – “Women of Influence,” 2018
- The Irish Voice – One of the "Irish Legal 100," 2016
- Lawdragon – One of the "500 Leading Lawyers in America," 2017 - 2019
- Shortlisted in 2014 for Euromoney LMG Americas Women in Business Law Awards
- Shortlisted in 2013 for Euromoney Americas Women in Business Law Awards
- Hedge Fund Journal – One of the “50 Leading Women in Hedge Funds," 2013
- American Lawyer – One of “45 under 45” Rising Stars of the Corporate Bar, 2003
Ms. Jordan is listed as a leading fund lawyer in various industry publications, including:
- Chambers Global
- Chambers USA
- The Legal 500 U.S.
- Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Private Equity Lawyers
- Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law
She was on the cover of The American Lawyer (June 2003 edition) and in a feature article entitled, "Women in the Law: Blooms in the Desert, Why Some Firms Get It, While Others Still Don't".
- Speaker, panelist and author on a variety of investment management topics (e.g., hedge fund, investment adviser, international and Investment Company Act issues)
- Vice-Chair, Board of Directors, The American Skin Association
Member, Advisory Board, Global Financial Markets Center, Duke Law School
Member, Board of Visitors, Duke Law School
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Co-Author, Advising Private Funds: A Comprehensive Guide to Representing Hedge Funds, Private Equity Funds and Their Advisers, West
- Co-Author, "The Appointment of Delegates Under the AIFMD, Key considerations and practical implications," The Hedge Fund Journal
- Author, "Trends in Prime Brokerage," Practical Law – The Journal
- Author, "New Case Law on Suspension of Hedge Fund Redemptions," Financier Worldwide
- The Latest SEC Proposed Derivatives Rules and How They Can Impact Your Business: presented with MSCI
- Practice Group Coordinator, Investment Management Group, 2003-present
- Partner, 1995-present
- Associate, 1983-1995