Mr. Spearing is counsel in Davis Polk’s Corporate Department, practicing in the London office. He has experience in a broad range of antitrust matters, acting for leading companies in a range of transactional and behavioral practices cases in the U.K. Competition and Markets Authority and the European Commission. He is also regularly called upon to assist, at a broader level, in delivering industry-wide solutions to consumer concerns.
Comcast Corporation in connection with its £22 billion ($30 billion) pre-conditional cash offer to acquire the entire share capital of Sky plc
A.P. Møller - Mærsk A/S in connection with its $7.45 billion disposal of Mærsk Oil to Total S.A.
SS&C on its $5.4 billion acquisition of DST Systems
Fibria on its €8 billion merger with Suzano
Temenos on its £1.4 billion recommended cash offer for Fidessa
Natura on its $1 billion acquisition of The Body Shop from L’Oreal
Ingram Micro in its sale to HNA Group
Technip in its merger of equals with FMC Technologies
Emerson Electric in its $3.15 billion acquisition of Pentair’s valves and controls business, and sales of its network power business to Platinum Investors and generators/motors business to Nidec
Chemtura in its $2.5 billion acquisition by Lanxess
Suez in the $3.4 billion acquisition of GE’s water treatment and chemicals business
- NBC Universal in its strategic partnership with Euronews
- Uber China in its merger into Didi Chuxing
- Volkswagen Truck in its strategic investment in Navistar
Before joining Davis Polk, Mr. Spearing’s representations included:
- Anchorage Capital in its acquisition of Ideal Standard
- Party Gaming on its acquisition by bwin
- Emirates' Alpha Flight Group in its JV with Lufthansa's LSG Sky Chefs
- Live Nation's acquisition of Ticketmaster
- RBS' acquisition of NatWest
- Xstrata's acquisitions of Falconbridge and MiM
Mr. Spearing has, for many years, been listed as one of London's leading antitrust/competition lawyers in various legal industry publications, including:
- Chambers UK − which praises his "great judgment and holistic view"
- Legal 500 − which refers to his combination of "great wisdom with a no-nonsense approach“ and that he is ‘inspired’, ‘sophisticated’ and ‘understands the nuances’
- Chambers Global and Chambers UK – “He cuts to the chase and retains a realistic approach”
- PLC Which Lawyer? – Mr. Spearing is praised by some peers as one of the cleverest competition lawyers in the market
Mr. Spearing is a former chairman of the Solicitors’ European Group and the original author of the mergers section in Butterworth’s Competition Law.
- Counsel, Davis Polk, 2015
- Partner, Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, 2012-2015
- Partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, 1984-2012