Mr. Cormack is counsel in Davis Polk’s Litigation Department, practicing in the New York office. He represents clients in complex civil litigation and arbitrations in jurisdictions across the country. He represents financial institutions and corporate clients in a range of disputes, including complex contractual disputes, tort and fraud actions, securities suits, fiduciary duty litigation and bankruptcies. He also advises clients on a variety of issues such as contractual rights and potential litigation. His practice also includes advising hedge funds and fund managers on complex legal issues associated with fund wind-downs. Mr. Cormack also has an active pro bono practice, representing civil litigants in the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, petitioners in federal habeas corpus proceedings, and various organizations as amicus curiae in federal and immigration courts.
- Successfully represented Morgan Stanley in multiple litigations relating to residential mortgage-backed securities
- Represent EnVen Energy Corporation as defendant in contractual dispute with former company president in Texas state court, and as plaintiff in fiduciary duty claim asserted in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Represented global financial institution in pre-suit negotiations with party threatening litigation regarding certain wire transfers; no litigation was filed
- Represent ad hoc group of creditors and bond trustee in litigation relating to defaults by Samarco Mineração SA on over $3 billion in bonds and other debt
- Represent ad hoc group of creditors in C&J Energy and Legacy Reserves Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases
- Represent Huntington Bancshares in fraudulent transfer litigation stemming from bankruptcy of CyberCo
- Advised independent directors of Cayman Island hedge fund in connection with wind-down of funds and disputes with asset manager regarding cost reimbursements stemming from SEC inquiries and criminal prosecution
- Advised asset manager regarding implications of SEC settlement agreement on fund wind-down and cost reimbursements
- Obtained reversal of summary judgment and reassignment to new trial judge for incarcerated plaintiff in civil rights lawsuit after oral argument before the Ninth Circuit
- Advised Make the Road New York in connection with litigation in federal court
- Counsel, 2020-present
- Associate, 2011-2020
- Law Clerk, Hon. Mary H. Murguia, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2012-2013