Mr. Landa is a partner in Davis Polk’s Investment Management/Private Funds Group. He advises a wide range of clients on the formation and operation of private investment funds, including private equity funds, hedge funds, credit funds, secondary funds, real estate funds, funds of funds and advisory platforms. He also regularly provides regulatory and compliance advice to his private fund clients.
He advises clients on secondary, private equity and public market transactions as well as acquisitions, dispositions, seeds and spinouts of investment advisers.
Mr. Landa also represents several large institutional investors that invest in private funds.
Representative private fund clients have included Avenue Capital, Mudrick Capital, Enfoca, Graticule Asset Management Asia, RoundTable Healthcare Partners, Hitchwood Capital, Perella Weinberg Partners, Reverence Capital, Czech Asset Management, Citadel, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse and J.P. Morgan.
Chambers USA notes that Mr. Landa has “broad and deep experience across private investment funds of all types,” and “can provide a blended perspective” which “is informed by a range of clients.” Chambers commentators have described Mr. Landa as an “unbelievable attorney in investment management" and "incredibly business-savvy and commercial." One praised: “… he’s one of the leading funds lawyers in the country. I get thorough, expert advice in a timely way whenever I need input.”
Mr. Landa is recognized as a leading fund formation lawyer in various industry publications:
- Chambers Global
- Chambers USA
- IFLR’s Guide to the World’s Leading Private Equity Lawyers and the IFLR1000
- The Legal 500 U.S.
- Who’s Who Legal–International Who’s Who of Private Funds Lawyers and International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- Expert Guides:
- World’s Leading Private Equity Lawyers
- World’s Leading Investment Funds Lawyers
- Best of the Best USA
- Co-author of Advising Private Funds: A Comprehensive Guide to Representing Hedge Funds, Private Equity Funds and Their Advisers, West (2010-2020 eds.)
- Speaks regularly as a panelist on a variety of private fund topics
- Director – Congregation Ansche Chesed
- Former Director, Lawyers Alliance for New York
- Member, Private Investment Funds Forum
- Former Member, Committee on Private Investment Funds, New York City Bar Association
- Partner, 2005-present
- Associate, 1998-2005
- Law Clerk, Hon. Senior Judges' Chambers, District of Columbia Court of Appeals, 1997-1998
Articles and Books
Adviser Exams: Mitigating Enforcement Risks | The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Alternative Investment Funds 2018
Allocating Fees and Expenses: The SEC Is Paying Close Attention | The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Alternative Investment Funds 2017, 5th Edition