Lara Samet Buchwald
Ms. Buchwald is a partner in Davis Polk’s Litigation Department. Her practice focuses on complex commercial litigation in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts across the country and she litigates cases from dispositive motions and discovery through trial and appeal. She also advises clients with respect to a wide range of civil litigation and advisory matters.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Aetna Inc. in a variety of major litigations, including successful defense of shareholder derivative litigation arising out of a proposed merger and shareholder derivative litigation relating to Aetna’s withdrawal from certain healthcare exchanges
- Citi in litigations arising out of the bankruptcy of Millennium Health, including ongoing defense in securities litigation challenging syndicated loan transaction, and in related fraudulent transfer litigation
- Con Edison in a variety of major litigations, including successful defense of mass-action civil litigation arising out of a 2007 steam main rupture in midtown Manhattan
- Crestview in litigations arising out of the merger of Capital Bank and First Horizon National Bank, including ongoing defense in putative class action litigation seeking to challenge the merger consideration
- A major financial institution in a variety of complex commercial litigations, including successful defense of action seeking to prevent termination of key contract, and successful dismissal of petition for extraterritorial discovery
- Directors and officers of various public companies in shareholder derivative and securities litigations
- Arch Coal, Inc. in all aspects of its chapter 11 cases, including as trial counsel
- Bonanza Creek Energy, Inc. in all aspects of its chapter 11 cases, including as trial counsel
- Delta Air Lines, Inc. in connection with the chapter 11 cases of LATAM Airlines Group S.A.
- EdgeMarc Energy in all aspects of its chapter 11 cases, including as lead litigation counsel
- An ad hoc group of bondholders in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Alta Mesa Resources, Inc., including as lead litigation counsel
- A consortium of lending institutions as appellate counsel in fraudulent transfer litigation arising out of the TOUSA, Inc. bankruptcy
PRO BONO LITIGATION
- The Legal Aid Society in connection with multiple pro bono matters, including extensive advocacy work concerning indigent defense caseloads, which led to millions of dollars of increased funding for public defense in New York City, and successful litigation to the New York State Court of Appeals regarding indigent defense case assignments.
- Counsel to a statewide class of indigent defendants challenging the constitutionality of the indigent defense system in Louisiana.
- Law360 – “Rising Star: Bankruptcy,” 2018
- Legal Aid Society – Pro Bono Publico Award, 2009-2010, 2012-2018
- Global Advisory Board Member, Women in Law Empowerment Forum
- Board Member, The Legal Aid Society
- Board Member and Chair, The Legal Aid Society New Leadership Board (2012 - 2019)
- Partner, 2017-present
- Associate, 2008-2017
- Law Clerk, Hon. Naomi Reice Buchwald, U.S. District Court, S.D. New York, 2010-2011