Mr. Cooklin is a partner in Davis Polk’s Tax Department, practicing in the London office. He concentrates on corporate tax and corporate tax planning, including tax aspects of corporate finance and private equity work, public and private mergers and acquisitions, demergers, joint ventures, reconstructions, equity and debt capital markets transactions, and cross-border transactions. He also has considerable experience of advising insurance groups and on restructuring of distressed groups.
Recent transactions have included advising:
- MasterCard in connection with the acquisition of VocaLink
- Technip on its $13 billion merger with FMC Technologies
- Markit on its $13 billion merger with IHS
- AstraZeneca on the sale of its antibiotics division to Pfizer
- TeliaSonera on its $1.03 billion sale of its 60.4% ownership in Ncell to Axiata Group
- Morgan Stanley on the sale of its Global Oil Merchanting Business
- Dialog Semiconductor on its proposed $4.6 billion acquisition of Atmel
- Delonex Energy on a $600 million investment led by Warburg Pincus
- The financial advisers to Verizon Communications on its $130 billion acquisition of Vodafone’s 45% interest in Verizon Wireless
- Antares Holdings, a Lloyds’ insurance company, on its sale by an affiliated investment fund of Lightyear Capital and others to Qatar Insurance Company
- Aetna on its acquisition of InterGlobal from investors led by Alchemy Partners, ARM Holdings on its acquisition of Sensinode, and Lydall on its acquisition of Andrew Industries’ filtration business
- Lloyds Bank plc and The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc on various notes offerings
- The underwriters in connection with the Abengoa Yield plc U.S. Initial Public Offering
- The underwriters in connection with the Oxford Immunotec Global PLC U.S. Initial Public Offering
Before joining Davis Polk, work highlights included advising:
- A FTSE 100 group in respect of the demerger of part of its business, followed by a merger of that business to create a new U.K.-listed group
- U.K. groups on redomiciling from the U.K.
- Numerous groups on returns of value by various means (including special dividends, repurchase of shares, "B" share transactions and new holding company schemes)
- A large number of groups/underwriters on international IPOs and listings
- A large number of groups/underwriters on rights issues, placings and open offers, and other equity placings
- A consumer finance group on a solvent restructuring, involving four schemes of arrangement
- An Australian services company on the acquisition of the business of a U.K.-listed property services company from its administrators by means of a pre-pack sale
Mr. Cooklin is listed as a Band 1 tax lawyer in Chambers U.K., Chambers Europe and Chambers Global, and was awarded the ILO Client Choice award for UK Corporate Tax in 2016.
- Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Member, Chartered Institute of Taxation
- Member, International Tax Sub-Committee and Tax Law Committee, The Law Society
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2012-present
- Partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, 2001-2012
Articles and Books
Anson: a Source of Relief or Confusion?