Until his retirement as an active Davis Polk partner in July 2015, Mr. Ballan worked on domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, spinoffs and security offerings, as well as cross-border tax planning for such clients as Aetna, Artio, Bertelsmann, Campbell Soup and Julius Baer; on private equity and hedge funds for such clients as Metalmark, Credit Suisse, J.P. Morgan and Citigroup; and on tax litigation, in particular in resolving controversies for multinational firms in technology, pharmaceutical, health care and other industries. He also advised on REITs and real estate transactions for such clients as Ranieri Partners, and pursued an active pro bono practice for numerous clients. Since becoming Senior Counsel, Mr. Ballan has played an active role at the Institute for Music and Neurologic Function, when he directs clinical and research programs, and in other teaching and research at a variety of institutions including Yeshiva University.
- Listed as a leading tax lawyer in Chambers USA, Legalease’s Tax Directors Handbook and The Legal 500.
- Adjunct Professor of Law, New York University School of Law, where he teaches “Taxation of Private Equity” and “Advanced Corporate Tax Problems”
- Guest lecturer on hedge fund taxation, Columbia and Yale Universities
- Assistant Professor, Brandeis University, 1986-1989
- Senior Counsel since 2015
- Partner, 1999-2015
- Associate, 1993-1999
- Law Clerk, Hon. Wilfred Feinberg, U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1992-1993