Gregory S. Rowland
Mr. Rowland is a partner in Davis Polk’s Corporate Department, practicing in the Investment Management Group. He focuses on providing transactional, regulatory and compliance advice relating to investment advisers, mutual funds, closed-end funds, business development companies, private equity funds and hedge funds. He devotes a large portion of his practice to the structuring, launch and operation of registered investment companies and hedge funds and to the sales, acquisitions and restructurings of asset management firms.
Recent transactional representations include:
- The initial public offering of the Avenue Income Credit Strategies Fund, a registered closed-end fund sponsored by the Avenue Capital Group, a leading hedge fund adviser
- A registered transferable rights offering by the Avenue Income Credit Strategies Fund
- The structuring and launch of the Ramius Trading Strategies Managed Futures Fund, a series of a registered open-end fund that provides investors access to a portfolio of institutional-caliber managed futures managers in a daily liquidity format utilizing Ramius’ proprietary managed account infrastructure
- Morgan Stanley in the sale of its retail investment management business to Invesco
- Citigroup in the formation of the Morgan Stanley Smith Barney joint venture
- Morgan Stanley in the spinout of its quantitative proprietary trading unit, PDT
- Citigroup in the spinout of certain of its CAI alternatives businesses
- Morgan Stanley in its investments in various hedge fund managers (including Avenue Capital Group and Lansdowne Partners)
- Morgan Stanley in its global strategic alliance with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group
- Financial Partners Fund in a management buyout of Jefferson National
- The Carlyle Group in its investment in wealth adviser and asset manager Avalon Advisors LLC
Mr. Rowland is recognized as "a top-notch lawyer," according to Chambers USA.
He is “particularly well regarded” in mutual/registered funds, according to Legal 500 U.S.
- The Latest SEC Proposed Derivatives Rules and How They Can Impact Your Business: presented with MSCI
- Partner, 2010-present
- Associate, 2003-2010
- Law Clerk, Hon. Diana E. Murphy, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 2002-2003
Articles and Books
CCOs Must Heed SEC’s Northern Lights Action | Ignites | A Financial Times Service
Designation of Asset Managers and Funds As Systemically Important Non-Bank Financial Institutions: Process and Industry Implications: Part 2 of 2 | Investment Lawyer | Vol. 20, No. 4 | April 2013
Designation of Asset Managers and Funds As Systemically Important Non-Bank Financial Institutions: Process and Industry Implications: Part 1 of 2 | Investment Lawyer | Vol. 20, No. 3 | March 2013