Gregory S. Rowland
Mr. Rowland is a partner in Davis Polk’s Corporate Department, practicing in the Investment Management Group. He focuses on providing transactional, regulatory and compliance advice relating to investment advisers, mutual funds, closed-end funds, business development companies, private equity funds and hedge funds. He devotes a large portion of his practice to the structuring, launch and operation of registered investment companies and hedge funds and to the sales, acquisitions and restructurings of asset management firms.
Mr. Rowland advises financial institutions, technology companies and asset managers in connection with transactional, regulatory and compliance issues concerning digital currency and blockchain activities, including digital currency fund formation.
Recent transactional representations include:
- Morgan Stanley in the sale of its retail investment management business to Invesco
Guggenheim Investments on the sale of its exchange-traded funds (ETF) business to Invesco
KKR on its joint venture and related transactions with FS Investments
Wells Fargo Asset Management on the sale of its majority interest in The Rock Creek Group
Lightyear Capital on its sale of RidgeWorth Investments to Virtus Investment Partners
Crestview Partners on its acquisition of Victory Capital Management
Munder Capital Management on its acquisition by Victory Capital Management,
Morgan Stanley in the sale of its retail investment management business to Invesco
Citigroup in the formation of the Morgan Stanley Smith Barney joint venture
Morgan Stanley in the spinout of its quantitative proprietary trading unit, PDT
Citigroup in the spinout of certain of its CAI alternatives businesses
Morgan Stanley in its investments in various hedge fund managers (including Avenue Capital Group and Lansdowne Partners)
Morgan Stanley in its global strategic alliance with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group
Financial Partners Fund in a management buyout of Jefferson National
The Carlyle Group in its investment in wealth adviser and asset manager Avalon Advisors LLC
The initial public offering of the Avenue Income Credit Strategies Fund, a registered closed-end fund sponsored by the Avenue Capital Group, a leading hedge fund adviser
The launch of the Six Circles Funds, a new registered fund complex sponsored by J.P. Morgan Private Investments Inc.
A registered transferable rights offering by the Avenue Income Credit Strategies Fund
The structuring and launch of the Ramius Trading Strategies Managed Futures Fund, a series of a registered open-end fund that provides investors access to a portfolio of institutional-caliber managed futures managers in a daily liquidity format utilizing Ramius’ proprietary managed account infrastructure
Mr. Rowland is recognized as "a top-notch lawyer," according to Chambers USA.
He is “particularly well regarded” in mutual/registered funds, according to Legal 500 U.S.
- Co-Author, “Cryptocurrencies and Other Digital Assets for Asset Managers,” Global Legal Insights: Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Regulation (2019 ed.)
- Contributing Editor, “U.S. Regulatory Reforms and Proposals Regarding Registered Funds Post-Financial Crisis,” The International Comparative Legal Guide to Public Investment Funds (2018 ed.)
- Co-Author, Advising Private Funds: A Comprehensive Guide to Representing Hedge Funds, Private Equity Funds and Their Advisers, West
- Speaker, “M&A and the GC,” Institutional Investor Legal Forum's Winter Roundtable 2019
- Speaker, “The Alternative Structures and Terms of Permanent Capital Investment Products,” IBA’s Annual International Conference on Private Investment Funds 2018
- Speaker, “Digital Currency Funds: Regulatory and Other Considerations,” Practising Law Institute’s Hedge Fund Management 2018
- Speaker, “Cryptocurrency: The Inflection Point for an Evolving Asset Class,” Managed Fund Association’s Outlook 2017
- Speaker, “MiFID II: The Thorniest Issues,” U.S. Institute’s COO Management Roundtable 2017
- The Latest SEC Proposed Derivatives Rules and How They Can Impact Your Business: presented with MSCI, 2016
- Partner, 2010-present
- Associate, 2003-2010
- Law Clerk, Hon. Diana E. Murphy, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 2002-2003
Articles and Books
Cryptocurrency and Other Digital Assets for Asset Managers | Global Legal Insights – Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Regulation 2019
CCOs Must Heed SEC’s Northern Lights Action | Ignites | A Financial Times Service
Designation of Asset Managers and Funds As Systemically Important Non-Bank Financial Institutions: Process and Industry Implications: Part 2 of 2 | Investment Lawyer | Vol. 20, No. 4 | April 2013