Daniel F. Forester
Mr. Forester is counsel in Davis Polk's Corporate Department, practicing in the Intellectual Property and Technology Transactions Group. He advises clients on intellectual property and technology issues arising from corporate and commercial transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions, data or intellectual property licensing, development and commercialization arrangements, joint ventures and collaborations, financings, restructurings and capital market offerings. He is also a member of the cybersecurity and data privacy practice and advises clients on cybersecurity, personal data, technology and data initiatives, development of privacy and data security policies and in connection with larger strategic transactions. He writes frequently on data privacy and cybersecurity matters and is a contributor to the Davis Polk Cyber Blog.
His experience includes structuring, drafting, negotiating and advising clients on a wide variety of intellectual property and technology related transactions, including software development and license agreements, distribution agreements, research and collaboration agreements, product manufacturing, information technology services arrangements, sponsorship and marketing arrangements, data licenses, trademark license and co-existence agreements, patent acquisition and cross-license arrangements, and other strategic intellectual property and technology related commercial exploitation arrangements.
Key clients include Comcast, Maersk, Related and VF Corporation.
- A.P. Møller – Maersk on forming a broad strategic relationship with IBM to provide more efficient and secure methods for conducting global trade using blockchain technology
- VF Corporation’s sale of its Nautica® brand business to Authentic Brands Group
- Related Companies in connection with various sponsorship agreements for Hudson Yards
- Comcast in connection with negotiation of software-as-a-service (SaaS) and platform-as-a-service (PaaS) arrangements
- Advising technology companies on data privacy matters, including in connection with internal policies and data pooling transactions with strategic partners
- Advice to a technology company on a joint software development agreement
- Advice to a multi-national financial institution on divestment of a software business unit
- New York State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, Executive Committee Member
- Counsel, 2019-present
- Davis Polk since 2017
Articles and Books
United States: Cybersecurity | Global Data Review – Handbook 2020
Blockchain Technology: Data Privacy Issues and Potential Mitigation Strategies | Practical Law – Thomson Reuters
Getting the Deal Through: Private M&A 2020 | Law Business Research Ltd.