Arthur F. Golden
Mr. Golden is global co-chairman of Davis Polk's mergers and acquisitions practice, the senior Davis Polk partner, and for nine years was a member of the firm's Management Committee. He is also the senior independent member of the board of directors of Emerson Electric, where he sits on the Executive Committee, is Chairman of the Finance Committee and previously chaired the Corporate Governance Committee. He regularly represents large multinational companies with respect to acquisition-related transactions, advises clients on corporate governance, shareholder activism and defensive matters, and is the senior partner in the firm’s practice in competition and antitrust matters, which include domestic and international mergers and acquisitions and antitrust counseling and litigation, both private and governmental (civil and criminal).
He also serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
Mr. Golden has represented Emerson Electric and Roche Holdings in their significant transactions during the past three decades.
- Baker Hughes in its combination with GE Oil & Gas and in its proposed acquisition by Halliburton
- Tyson Foods in its acquisition of Hillshire Brands
- H.J. Heinz in its acquisition by Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital
Roche in its acquisitions of Genentech, Spark Therapeutics, Foundation Medicine, Flatiron Health and InterMune, and in its hostile bids for Illumina and Ventana Medical Systems
- ConAgra in its acquisition of Ralcorp, spinoff of its Lamb Weston business and sale of its private brands business
An American multinational food, snack and beverage corporation in the acquisitions of its two largest anchor bottlers
- Gillette in its merger with Procter & Gamble
- The directors of various mutual fund companies in investigations of that industry
- Freeport-McMoRan in a negotiation with the Government of Indonesia and the criminal antitrust investigation of the copper concentrate industry
- Comcast in its merger with AT&T Broadband
- RJR Nabisco sale to Philip Morris (Kraft)
- Roche Holding in its previous acquisitions of Boerhinger Mannheim, Syntex and Genentech and hostile bid for Sterling Drug
- Allegiance in its merger with Cardinal Health
- A major financial institution in connection with investigations of foreign exchange trading and markets
- Hoffmann-La Roche in criminal and civil antitrust litigation relating to vitamins and its disputes with Gilead over rights to the flu medication, Tamiflu, and against Procter & Gamble in a false advertising preliminary injunction case
- AstraZeneca in various matters, including the Canadian import litigations and the brand name prescription drug antitrust litigation
- Bertelsmann in the federal antitrust investigation relating to the online distribution of music
- Antitrust merger litigation with respect to Whirlpool’s acquisition of KitchenAid, Emerson's acquisition of Skil and a wine industry merger
- The securities litigation in the Delaware Chancery and Supreme Courts with respect to the Fort Howard LBO
Mr. Golden is consistently recognized as a leader in the legal industry:
- Chambers Global
- Chambers USA
- Legal 500 U.S.
- Who’s Who Legal – Business, Competition and Corporate Governance
- Expert Guides – Competition & Antitrust and Corporate Governance
- Best Lawyers – "Lawyer of the Year," Litigation-Antitrust: New York City, 2016
Mr. Golden is the senior member of Davis Polk’s Antitrust and Competition Group, which is recognized by:
- Law360 – “Competition Group of the Year,”2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers – “Law Firm of the Year,” 2013
- "Corporate Governance, Global Overview," Getting the Deal Through
- Contributing Editor, "Shareholder Activism & Engagement, Global Overview," Getting the Deal Through
- Member, Board of Directors, Emerson Electric (Executive Committee; Finance Committee Chair; past Governance Committee Chair)
- Trustee, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Director of various other NYSE companies
- Member, Executive Committee; Chairman, Compensation Committee, ESCO Electronics
- Member, Executive Committee; Audit Committee, Burns International Services
- Member, Audit Committee, Allegiance Corporation
- Member, Board of Managers, State Communities Aid Association
- Partner, 1978-present
- Associate, 1969-1977
Articles and Books
Getting the Deal Through: Shareholder Activism & Engagement 2018 | Law Business Research Ltd.
Getting the Deal Through: Editor Q&A - Shareholder Activism & Engagement 2017 | Law Business Research Ltd.