Annette L. Nazareth
Ms. Nazareth is head of Davis Polk's Washington DC office and leads the trading and markets practice within the firm’s Financial Institutions Group. She advises clients across a broad range of complex regulatory matters and transactions. She also works closely with Davis Polk’s SEC enforcement practice, counseling nonfinancial sector corporations that are subject to government regulatory and enforcement actions.
- Best Lawyers - "Lawyer of the Year," Financial Services Regulation Law: Washington DC, 2020
- Chambers USA – Securities: Regulation: Advisory, Nationwide, Band 1
- Chambers USA – Financial Services Regulation: Broker Dealer (Compliance), Nationwide, Band 1
- Legal 500 USA – Financial Services: Regulatory, Leading Lawyer
- IFLR1000 – Financial Services: Regulatory, Highly Regarded
- BTI Client Service All-Star, 2013
- Euromoney LMG Americas Women in Business Law Awards - Best in Financial Regulation, 2012
Ms. Nazareth received the SIFMA Compliance & Legal Society 2019 Alfred J. Rauschman Award, in recognition of her significant contributions to the compliance and legal communities and her dedication to the securities industry.
In 2011, Ms. Nazareth received a Lifetime Achievement Award from Traders magazine's inaugural "Wall Street Women of Excellence" awards. She was nominated by individuals in the trading community and was the only lawyer to receive an award.
Ms. Nazareth received the Women in Finance Lifetime Achievement Award from Markets Media in 2016.
- Thought Leader on Financial Regulation, Davis Polk FinReg Blog, read Ms. Nazareth's posts
- Co-Chair, Workstream on Capital Markets, the Bipartisan Policy Center’s Financial Regulatory Reform Initiative
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Urban Institute, the National Cathedral School, the Bishop Walker School, and Trustee Emeritus of Brown University
- Co-Author, "Transparency and Confidentiality in the Post Financial Crisis World - Where to Strike the Balance?," Harvard Business Law Review, Vol. 1, August 2011
- Co-Author, Credible Living Wills: The First Generation, Davis Polk and McKinsey & Co., April 2011
- Author of numerous articles and frequent speaker at conferences
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2008-present
- Commissioner, Securities and Exchange Commission, 2005-2008
- Director, Division of Market Regulation (now the Division of Trading and Markets), Securities and Exchange Commission, 1999-2005
- Senior Counsel, Chairman Arthur Levitt; Interim Director, Division of Investment Management, Securities and Exchange Commission, 1998-1999
- Associate, Davis Polk, 1981-1986
Articles and Books
Getting the Deal Through: Financial Services Compliance 2019 | Law Business Research Ltd., April 2019
Digital and Digitized Assets: Federal and State Jurisdictional Issues | American Bar Association, March 2019
Five US market regulation forecasts for 2019 | Financial Times