Advises multinational corporations, banks, fintech firms and Asia-based companies in investigations and litigations involving securities laws, the FCPA and sanctions.
Yuan advises multinational corporations, banks and Asia-based companies in regulatory and internal investigations of alleged FCPA violations and breaches of securities, anti-money laundering and sanctions laws. She also represents clients in securities litigations and transactional due diligence, and advises fintech firms in relation to regulatory compliance.
Earlier in her career, Yuan spent two years in the Office of Legal Affairs at the United Nations headquarters and four years at the International Court of Justice in The Hague working on interstate disputes on various international law subjects.
Regulatory and Internal Investigations
- Advising global technology companies on U.S. regulatory investigations concerning alleged FCPA violations in their procurement, marketing and sales practices in China
- Advising global investment banks in relation to their hiring practices in APAC in response to anti-corruption inquiries from multiple U.S. regulators
- Advising a leading PE firm and its Chinese portfolio company in an internal review of anti-corruption and AML compliance
- Representing a China-based U.S. issuer in securities fraud investigations by U.S. regulators
- Representing a major state-owned enterprise in response to U.S. regulatory inquiries into sanctions and AML issues
- Conducting a comprehensive review of a major state-owned enterprise’s group-wide AML, CTF and sanctions compliance policies and procedures
- Conducting anti-harassment investigations on behalf of financial institutions and educational institutions
- Advising China-based issuers in securities class action lawsuits
- Advising clients in shareholder disputes and breach of fiduciary duty claims
- Advising a leading technology firm and its CEO in a defamation claim
Regulatory and Compliance Advice in M&A Transactions
- Conducting anti-corruption, AML and sanctions due diligence on behalf of banks and funds in their investments in healthcare, fintech, information technology, media and energy sectors and recommending post-transaction enhancement measures
- Advising fintech companies regarding regulatory compliance of their business activities in the context of their initial public offerings
- Advising a global blockchain-based payment company regarding regulatory and compliance risks in cryptocurrency trading, exchange and other services
- Advising a cryptocurrency exchange and a cryptocurrency mining company on KYC/AML and other compliance inquiries
- Advising an international gaming company on compliance issues with virtual payment tool for purchase of digital products
- Advising a telecommunications company with its consultation with the banking regulator concerning payment and virtual bank licensing questions
Before joining Davis Polk, Yuan worked on interstate disputes concerning territorial and maritime boundaries, human rights obligations, trans-boundary environmental laws, treaty interpretation, illegal use of force and compensation for expropriation.
- International Law and Human Rights Student Fellow
- Counsel, 2021-present
- Counsel - Registered Foreign Lawyer, 2020-2021
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, Davis Polk, 2014-2020
- Associate Legal Officer, International Court of Justice, United Nations, 2010-2014
- Assistant Legal Officer, Codification Division of the Office of Legal Affairs, United Nations, 2009-2010
Qualifications and admissions
- Hong Kong
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York