Head of Europe practice. Advises corporate, PE and investment banking clients on public and private M&A transactions, takeovers, and securities offerings and listings.
Will is head of our Europe practice. He advises corporate, private equity and investment banking clients on public and private M&A transactions, takeovers, and securities offerings and listings, as well as on corporate governance, shareholder activism and restructuring matters.
With over 20 years' experience of advising on the Takeover Code and the Listing Rules, he is one of a handful of law firm partners in the U.K. to have been recognized as a leading lawyer for both corporate/M&A and equity capital markets.
Will has been recognized as a “Dealmaker of the Year” by the American Lawyer and The Deal and an “MVP of the Year” by Law360. Clients quoted by Chambers say he is “exceptionally talented and very creative” and “highly experienced, insightful and commercial. He focuses on the issues that really matter and doesn't get stuck in the weeds.”
Private Mergers & Acquisitions
- Ding sale of majority stake to Pollen Street Capital
- Lightyear Capital acquisition of Wren Sterling
- Ferrero-related company acquisition of Burton’s Biscuit Company
- Ferrero acquisition of Eat Natural
- Genuine Parts $2 billion acquisition of Alliance Automotive Group
- Verisk Analytics £250 million acquisition of Sequel
- A.P. Moller – Maersk $7.45 billion disposal of Maersk Oil to Total
Public Mergers & Acquisitions
- Esken £55 million capital raising and £125 million investment by Carlyle
- Made.com £775.3 million IPO and London listing
- NCC Group $220 million acquisition of IPM and £72.6 million placing of new shares
- Electrocomponents £180 million placing and retail offer of new shares
- Unification of Unilever’s corporate structure
- Bovis Homes £1.075 billion housing acquisition and placing of new shares
- Demerger and $3.6 billion Copenhagen listing of Maersk Drilling
American Lawyer – "Dealmaker of the Year," 2019
Law360 – "M&A MVP of the Year," 2018
The Deal Europe Awards – “Dealmaker of the Year,” 2018
Chambers UK and Europe – Corporate/M&A: High-End Capability
Chambers Global – Corporate/M&A (International & Cross-Border)
According to Chambers, clients note that Will is “very available and always goes the extra mile” and “one of those people who won't miss a trick and is very happy to go beyond the narrow legal sphere and steer from a commercial and tactical perspective.
Will “has a very thorough knowledge of the sponsor regime and the Takeover Code,” clients quoted by Chambers say.
Legal 500 UK – M&A: Upper Mid-Market and Premium Deals, £500m+, Hall of Fame
IFLR1000 – M&A, United Kingdom, Highly Regarded
Who’s Who Legal – M&A, Global Leader
- with honours
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2013-present
- Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills, 2006-2013
- Associate, Herbert Smith Freehills, 1998-2006
Qualifications and admissions
- England and Wales