Ray is co-head of our Derivatives & Structured Products practice and a member of the Capital Markets practice. He has extensive experience in developing and executing new and innovative financial products across all asset classes.
Ray’s practice focuses on over-the-counter derivative solutions, ranging from financing and repurchase transactions to hedging strategies; convertible securities offerings and related derivative transactions; equity-, credit- and commodity-linked products; margin loans and affiliate “back-levered” equity positions in significant stakes of publicly traded issuers; cash, synthetic and other tailored securitizations and structured transactions; and development and disclosure of customized, algorithmic indices and investment strategies offered through swaps or securities offerings.
As counsel to a major financial institution on its registered structured products platform, Ray advises the firm on SEC, FINRA and other regulatory and transactional matters.
- The first TDECS equity units consisting of a forward contract and an amortizing preferred security
- The largest structured margin loan on a publicly traded underlying security ($3 billion against 67% of shares outstanding)
- The first convertible preferred equity units, which received the IFR’s “Structured Equity Deal of the Year” award
- The first structured borrow facility to support convertible debt, which received IFLR’s “Deal of the Year” award
- The first equity-linked liquidity facility along with related call spread and credit- and equity-linked notes offerings
- The first common stock offering and related call spread repurchase transaction
- Editor, Virginia Journal of International Law
- Editor, Virginia Law Review
- magna cum laude
- with honors
- Partner, 2006-present
- Associate, 1998-2006